PDA

View Full Version : Favorite IDE?

fishscale
February 13th, 2009, 12:57 AM
What is your favorite IDE for C++? I like eclipse fine for java, but it seems to be lacking for C++. I'd use visual studio, but this is, afterall, the ubuntu forum. So, let me rephrase: what is your favorite C++ IDE for linux?

ch0d3
February 13th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Vim. Kommodo looks promising though.

jimi_hendrix
February 13th, 2009, 01:25 AM
if editors count then vim

otherwise i must say, VS C# (VS VB looks nicer to me but its a terrible language so... :)

lensman3
February 13th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Vi/Vim and the cntl^Z, "fg", "bg", "jobs" group of commands. And of course make and "touch". With the cntl^Z and VI, I run many lessons of VI and jump between the sessions with "fg". Just remember of write back out just before you do a cntl^Z. Push and pop will move you between directories.

Hope this helps.

ch0d3
February 13th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Vi/Vim and the cntl^Z, "fg", "bg", "jobs" group of commands. And of course make and "touch". With the cntl^Z and VI, I run many lessons of VI and jump between the sessions with "fg". Just remember of write back out just before you do a cntl^Z. Push and pop will move you between directories.

Hope this helps.

zuh?

cardinals_fan
February 13th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I like vim (or gvim if I need to copy/paste) for the awesome keyboard control. If I need a full IDE, I usually use Geany. SciTE is a pretty impressive app though.

sloggerkhan
February 13th, 2009, 03:12 AM
I like geany. I just wish it could detect my python libs for autcompletion.

ch0d3
February 13th, 2009, 03:24 AM
I like geany. I just wish it could detect my python libs for autcompletion.

Just a guess but maybe checking your tags (~/.geany/tags) or generating python tags would help.

ch0d3
February 13th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Anyone here use vim *as* an IDE? This can usually be accomplished for any language. As an example, here (http://blog.sontek.net/2008/05/11/python-with-a-modular-ide-vim/)is a python setup.

kavon89
February 13th, 2009, 03:34 AM
For learning and small scale projects, any editor and compiler is all you need. For people who are experienced in their language or doing a large project, I'd use NetBeans.

aszxcv
February 13th, 2009, 04:17 AM
netbeans

sujoy
February 13th, 2009, 05:53 AM
vim. i use a tiling WM, so with multiple terminals and GNUscreen, a good editor is all that you need

Sorivenul
February 13th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Vim or Geany.

And... haven't we seen this thread before? :-k

EDIT:
For C++ a lot of folks seem to like Code::Blocks.

fishscale
February 13th, 2009, 06:14 AM
I'm sure this thread's been discussed before, but I'm fairly new to this forum.

I don't know if I'd consider vim an IDE, it's more an editor. Editors are fine too, just wondering what people liked, since eclipse wasn't doing it for me. I might check out NetBeans, looks promising.

marshimaro
February 13th, 2009, 06:27 AM
code::blocks, like VS.NET in windows...

ch0d3
February 13th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I don't know if I'd consider vim an IDE, it's more an editor.

By default, sure - but it does have the *potential* power of a traditional IDE.

id1337x
February 13th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Eclipse. It is a shame it is not kept more updated because nothing matches it in features in the free software world and it seems a lot of people use it already.

Tim Sharitt
February 13th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Favorite IDE is fairly subjective. You really need to find what works for you with your preferred language.

( I prefer emacs+slime+sbcl for lisp)

sujoy
February 13th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Favorite IDE is fairly subjective. You really need to find what works for you with your preferred language.

( I prefer emacs+slime+sbcl for lisp)

+1 to slime, haven't seen anything better than that for lisp

phrostbyte
February 13th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Geany is good enough for me

hessiess
February 13th, 2009, 06:11 PM
IDE = bloatwere, use a programmable editor like Vim + coupple~ of xterms ;)

rich1939
February 13th, 2009, 10:09 PM
code::blocks, like VS.NET in windows...

+1 for CODE::BLOCKS

Exershio
February 14th, 2009, 02:26 AM
lol damn I just use gedit + terminal (make) nowadays. I used to use Visual Studio on Windows and I never thought I'd ever use a plain text editor.

Ah well, I like to keep things simple. I might check out geany later.

bruce89
February 14th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Ah well, I like to keep things simple. I might check out geany later.

I think there might be a contradiction here.

u497
February 14th, 2009, 09:33 PM
dev-c++ /programmers notepad [works on windows and linux ] / kwrite-kate/ and if i hawe time to install and load netbesans too is good enough.
my favorite is devc++ but it freezes on linux i dont know why. but if i find a way to use it on linux ill use it on linux too.
:lolflag:

godlike_panos
February 14th, 2009, 09:48 PM
++Code::Blocks

Really nice IDE that recently made it to the Ubuntu repos.

raydeen
February 15th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Eric, but I'm only really into Python atm.

ch0d3
February 15th, 2009, 06:52 AM
ide = bloatwere, use a programmable editor like vim + coupple~ of xterms ;)

indeed!

baizon
February 17th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Eclipse \\:D/

For Java:
http://www.eclipse.org/

or for C/C++:
http://www.eclipse.org/linuxtools/

Can+~
February 17th, 2009, 06:38 PM
What is your favorite IDE for C++? I like eclipse fine for java, but it seems to be lacking for C++. I'd use visual studio, but this is, afterall, the ubuntu forum. So, let me rephrase: what is your favorite C++ IDE for linux?

Lacking for C++? Really?

I just love the cdt and pydev plugins on Eclipse Ganymede.

IDE = bloatwere, use a programmable editor like Vim + coupple~ of xterms ;)

Never impose an opinion as a rule.

screaminj3sus
February 23rd, 2009, 07:21 AM
I use codeblocks in windows, but I just discovered geany and I love it, the ui is clean and easy to use and it's fast.

@bruce, I saw you post about geany a couple of times saying its complicated/not clean looking but so far it seems the oppisite to me... it's pretty simple.

sloggerkhan
February 23rd, 2009, 07:32 AM
Lacking for C++? Really?

I just love the cdt and pydev plugins on Eclipse Ganymede.

Never impose an opinion as a rule.

With eclipse's pydev, it's good at determining methods from libraries and such, but it never seems to recognize instances for auto completion.

Example is that if I import, say, datetime, I can start writing out something and do a = datetime.date.today() and the autocomplete will be fine with detecting the bits in datetime and autocompleting as I type. But say I have my own class open in another tab and I do import myclass. Then I instantiate myclass, a = myclass(thing1, thing2, thing3) and I then type a. hoping to have method names or variables autocomplete and nothing. It's the reverse of the problem I have with geany. Geany seems to only detect local instances and methods for autcompletion, while eclipse's python plugin detects the whole system python path and libs but doesn't autocomplete stuff origination from my own code.

rharriso
February 23rd, 2009, 07:46 PM
Komodo Edit

spupy
February 23rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
I'm just writing my own editor/IDE! ;)

Can+~
February 24th, 2009, 07:03 PM
But say I have my own class open in another tab and I do import myclass. Then I instantiate myclass, a = myclass(thing1, thing2, thing3) and I then type a. hoping to have method names or variables autocomplete and nothing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/CanXp/python/screenshot1-1.png

With Eclipse Ganymedes 3.4.1, Pydev 1.4.2

*edit: Image cut.