PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trash Deletion error

LordOOTFD
February 13th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Alrighty, I have recently become aware of a strange problem with my Trash folder. I have ~800 files taking up 1.7 GB which absolutely will not delete. pressing the empty trash button it goes through he motions but does not delete the files. Isolating the files and trying to delete them it says there was an error deleting the files, under details is says: "Error removing file: Permission denied"

I haven't seen this problem before and I have no idea why permission would be denied, I moved these files form my desktop or folders therein into the trash.

mttman
February 13th, 2009, 12:48 AM
you could try
sudo chmod 666 trash:/// and then try to empty the trash

I'm not sure if this will work but it's worth a try

also try to change the permissions on the files inside the trash to do this you would probably need to
sudo nautilus and then use the side panel to get to the trash

<Mttman>

LordOOTFD
February 13th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Alrighty trying the first It outputs this
"chmod: cannot access `trash:///': No such file or directory"
I'm not sure If I had to specify something more specific as my experience with the console is fairly limited.

Starting nautilus It outputs this and fails:
"seahorse nautilus module initialized
Initializing nautilus-share extension

(nautilus:8531): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_simple_async_result_set_from_error: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:8531): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_free: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:8531): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_simple_async_result_set_from_error: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:8531): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: (/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.16.6/gio/gfile.c:5249):IA__g_file_load_partial_contents_fin ish: runtime check failed: (g_simple_async_result_get_source_tag (simple) == g_file_load_contents_async)
Segmentation fault"

I believe it should pop up with a file browser of some sort, from what I've read.

sisco311
February 13th, 2009, 08:51 AM
sudo chown -R $USER: ~/.local/share/Trash/then try to empty the trash.

_noob_
February 13th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Look in the /home/user/.local for the Trash file.
Hope that helps. :)

sisco311
February 13th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Alrighty trying the first It outputs this
"chmod: cannot access `trash:///': No such file or directory"
I'm not sure If I had to specify something more specific as my experience with the console is fairly limited.

Starting nautilus It outputs this and fails:
"seahorse nautilus module initialized
Initializing nautilus-share extension

(nautilus:8531): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_free: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(nautilus:8531): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: (/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.16.6/gio/gfile.c:5249):IA__g_file_load_partial_contents_fin ish: runtime check failed: (g_simple_async_result_get_source_tag (simple) == g_file_load_contents_async)
Segmentation fault"

I believe it should pop up with a file browser of some sort, from what I've read.

It's a known bug. Remove any blank cd/dvd from the drive and try again.

gksu nautilus ~/.local/share/Trash/

LordOOTFD
February 14th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Excellent! that solved it Thanks sisco311!

JRV
February 14th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.