PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Kickoff Menu Not Updating with New Programs

Rulls
February 12th, 2009, 11:11 PM
When I install new software packages, entries for the programs do not appear in the Kickoff menu.

I have confirmed that the programs were successfully installed (I can launch them from the command line). In case it's relevant, programs in question are Firefox and gscan2pdf.

I'm operating with a new install of 8.10 and KDE 4.2.

How do I enable the updating of of the Kickoff menu?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Darkshade
February 13th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Did you try logging out and logging in again?
I know it's a stupid suggestion but that did the trick for me back in KDE4.1 and honestly I don't remember installing anything new since I switched to KDE4.2 in order to check if the problem disappeared.

Rulls
February 13th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the reply, Darkshade.

I did not try logout/login, but eventually I did do a complete system restart, and that did fix the problem of the missing menu entries.

This morning, I installed Audacity, and the entry for that program was present in the menu immediately after installation completed. Huh.

Another problem fixed by similar means: the KNetworkManager icon did not appear in the system tray upon startup one day, and a reboot fixed that problem (guess I could try logout/login) as well. I'm very pleased with the improvements that came with KDE 4.2, but I suspect we are seeing a few remaining wrinkles that will probably be smoothed out over time.

Thanks again for the feedback.

UbuntuNerd
February 13th, 2009, 05:31 PM
?