PDA

View Full Version : Help me increase my bus speed please

swoll1980
February 12th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I want to install a p4 3.0 but my bus speed is only 400. I have a dimension 2400, and have researched this, from what I've found I'm sure sure it can be increased to 533, but nothing I can find explains how to do this. Can you guys help me out?

WalmartSniperLX
February 12th, 2009, 10:55 PM
All you should have to do is:

-Make sure the CPU is rated for the bus speed
-Get highest rated double-data rate memory your mobo can support to keep it simple
-And, last but not least, check the BIOS and make sure it isn't being bottled by a setting.

**Of course this is assuming that your motherboard can support 533

swoll1980
February 12th, 2009, 11:03 PM
All you should have to do is:

-Make sure the CPU is rated for the bus speed
-Get highest rated double-data rate memory your mobo can support to keep it simple
-And, last but not least, check the BIOS and make sure it isn't being bottled by a setting.

the processor I want to install is 533 fsb my ram is pc 3200 which is the highest my mobo will support. I don't seem to have any setting in the bios to adjust the bus speed. Is there a way to change the bios?

TravisNewman
February 12th, 2009, 11:06 PM
It may hot-switch bus speeds based on the processor installed. If you're positive that the mobo can support 533 fsb then just put in the new processor.

WalmartSniperLX
February 12th, 2009, 11:09 PM
It may hot-switch bus speeds based on the processor installed. If you're positive that the mobo can support 533 fsb then just put in the new processor.

This should generally do it then. If not, then your mobo may not support 533.

As far as a new BIOS, I managed to get a retail BIOS on my OEM Cisnet Asus board. Just find out what manufacturer of the board is, current ROM version, and see if there is a way to flash a retail bios with more options. I don't recommend it unless you do a lot of research on the ROMs you're interested in flashing because they may mess up your computer. Just remember to always make a backup of your current BIOS before flashing.

swoll1980
February 12th, 2009, 11:12 PM

I'm sure it supports the higher bus speed. If it doesn't hot switch, and stays at 400 with the new processor, what are we looking at? It's not going to cause any damage, will it?

swoll1980
February 24th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I got my processor today, and installed it. The bus switched to 533 with no problem, everything is running smoothly. Thanks guys! :p

MoebusNet
February 24th, 2009, 09:27 PM
So...this wasn't what you wanted?

http://www.imdb.com/rg/VIDEO_PLAY/LINK//video/hulu/vi31260697/