PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Please help: Dual OS's?

janthonywj
February 12th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Hi all,

I've made a couple of threads trying to get an answer, but for some reason I never get any views much less a reply.

I want to get pointed in the right direction for what I can do to boot a trimmed down version of Windows while spending most of my time on Kubuntu. A few apps like Blackberry manager for my storm and such need to be run on Windows, not wine, for me to install leaked OS's and such.

The most impressive way I can envision this would be to have one of my Linux desktops dedicated as a windows desktop. What's the best way to do this?

Thanks.

kanikilu
February 12th, 2009, 10:25 PM
The most impressive way I can envision this would be to have one of my Linux desktops dedicated as a windows desktop.

Sorry? I think you've lost me there...

Anyways setting up a dual (or even triple, or more!) boot system is not necessarily difficult, depending on what your starting point is. Where are you at right now?

Check out this guide:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

It covers the various scenarios, such as installing Ubuntu after Windows, installing Windows after Ubuntu, etc.

mikewhatever
February 12th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Either install Windows along with Kubuntu or on another computer, or virtual box, there is no 'best way', sorry.

janthonywj
February 12th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Sorry? I think you've lost me there...

Where are you at right now?

Thanks for the reply.

I probably should have done some more thinking before I installed Kubuntu, but I was not sure if I'd be this happy with Kubuntu, since there are so many distros to choose from (almost went Sabynon 4), here's what I did:

1. Downloaded and burned a live CD.
2. Erased some unnecessary media files in Vista. (only an 80GB HD)
3. Booted from the live CD, used the live CD to partition out some of the Vista partition, about 30 GB if I remember right. (My music files are still on Vista.
4. As of now, when I turn on my laptop, I have the options to boot from the different Kubuntu options, or the Vista option, but not both.

You're last post may solve my problem, so I thank you. If you have any more hints for me it'd be great. Should I go ahead and plan to back up all my files and start both OS's from scratch to make it better?

kanikilu
February 12th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Oh I see what you're saying. No, you can't really run them side-by-side. Well, that's not true at all, you can, using virtualization (e.g. VirtualBox, VMWare, etc), however, my experience with that has not been good at all when trying to access devices like a Blackberry or iPod in a "guest" Windows OS.

Reinstalling or following the directions I posted isn't going to help you at all, you'll just end up in the same situation you are in now.

janthonywj
February 13th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Oh I see what you're saying. No, you can't really run them side-by-side. Well, that's not true at all, you can, using virtualization (e.g. VirtualBox, VMWare, etc), however, my experience with that has not been good at all when trying to access devices like a Blackberry or iPod in a "guest" Windows OS.

Reinstalling or following the directions I posted isn't going to help you at all, you'll just end up in the same situation you are in now.

Okay, Thanks again. I thought VMware might be my only solution here. I've used it in a Windows environment, but I agree it's limited, and especially in Windows it seems too resource hungry for my modest laptop...