PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Day.

Roasted
February 12th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Who else sucks at this holiday?

Two days away, months of thinking, not the slightest clue. Weee!

Grant A.
February 12th, 2009, 09:06 PM
My dad broke up with my mom a day before Valentine's Day when they were dating 17 years ago. He was lucky that she took him back a week later. They are still married today. :D

getaboat
February 12th, 2009, 09:23 PM
put it on the "bah-humbug" list.

[Grant.A your avatar looks very much like my doggo]

Thelasko
February 12th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I went to Kohl's (http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/jewelry.jsp) this year. It worked for her birthday two years ago. I got something that sparkles for very little money.

Last year, I went with an orchid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Orchid_Phalaenopsis_hybrid.jpg) from Home Depot. It was only $10 and is still alive and in bloom again!

The tricky part is the date. Where do you go? Everywhere will be packed. Maybe next year I will try to cook something myself.

Sunflower1970
February 12th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Not a big fan of Valentine's Day. Neither is my husband. We usually stay home, I'll make a nice dinner, and we'll watch a romantic comedy. Or we'll order pizza. This year I wanted pizza (lol)

We'll then usually go out special the next weekend. (since it's not so packed :P)

steeleyuk
February 12th, 2009, 10:06 PM
My uncle died 3 years ago on Valentines Day so it definitely does suck here...

gnomeuser
February 12th, 2009, 11:34 PM
In Denmark Valentine's Day is a relatively new day of celebration. We only got it a couple of years ago, much to the delight of the florists and the chocolate pushers who naturally invested heavily in PR making it so.

However in my family it has been a special day for a while, namely because it was my grandparents wedding day. Sadly my grandfather died 2 years ago, but they managed to be married for a full 67 years. A lifetime together and happy till the end. This day is now always hard for my grandmother, understandably so. We try to distract her but there is little one can do to make up the memories that swell up on special days.

Now it gets a little stranger, since my fiancée is Brazilian and down there Valentine's day is on June 12th. So I get to celebrate it twice a year, this year though I don't know if there will be money to fly down there to see her. Luckily this is the last year we will spend like this, next year she is coming to Europe (hopefully Denmark if we can manage to get her a spot) to study for her ph.d. and then distance will be much less of a problem.

But yes, I love this day. I think love is well worth celebrating. Then again I am I admit some what a hopeless romantic.

OutOfReach
February 12th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I don't mind it. Infact I actually enjoy it.

xpod
February 13th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Eh?....Valentines day?.........but i thought...............Oh dear:-\"

Bölvaður
February 13th, 2009, 12:38 AM
every day is a special day.. dont be fooled

sharathpaps
February 13th, 2009, 02:55 AM
But yes, I love this day. I think love is well worth celebrating. Then again I am I admit some what a hopeless romantic.

+1, Same goes for me too.

Polygon
February 13th, 2009, 04:31 AM
this holiday is one of the most hypocritical ones. Its just another excuse for a commercial holiday. Every day should be a day that you 'love your loved one', there is nothing special about February 14th. If you someone only love someone on valentines day, your doing it wrong.

PurposeOfReason
February 13th, 2009, 04:43 AM
this holiday is one of the most hypocritical ones. Its just another excuse for a commercial holiday. Every day should be a day that you 'love your loved one', there is nothing special about February 14th. If you someone only love someone on valentines day, your doing it wrong.
No, you're doing it wrong. :)

Valentine's day, this year it's just reminding me to get something going with that girl on the 2nd floor before someone else does. lol.

Polygon
February 13th, 2009, 04:59 AM
No, you're doing it wrong. :)

Valentine's day, this year it's just reminding me to get something going with that girl on the 2nd floor before someone else does. lol.

how is thinking a holiday that promotes that you someone should only celebrate love on 1 day out of 365 wrong? you should celebrate your love EVERY day of the year.

not to mention this day just has a knack of making single people feel like crap. Mmmm what a wonderful holiday.

Sneaky07
February 13th, 2009, 05:08 AM
how is thinking a holiday that promotes that you someone should only celebrate love on 1 day out of 365 wrong? you should celebrate your love EVERY day of the year.

not to mention this day just has a knack of making single people feel like crap. Mmmm what a wonderful holiday.

Yea... I prefer FREE HUGS day. That way it fits for everyone. :D

MarblePanther
February 13th, 2009, 05:13 AM

:cry:

Don't remind me! :lol:

PurposeOfReason
February 13th, 2009, 05:16 AM

It was a grammar joke. :roll:

Roasted
February 13th, 2009, 05:55 AM
My rear end has acquired another day. Originally, thursday was my planning day and her and I were hanging out friday. Friday plans fell through, so now I gotta think of something while at work tomorrow and get it done in the evening so when I see her saturday I can be mr. awesome.

gahhh. I hate doing this. I always do this. Birthdays, Christmas, you name it, I wait till the last second.

sailthesea
February 13th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Write your lady a poem. It takes me about a year to come up with something so crack on! Cheese is good Just remember not to rip off too many songs

EdThaSlayer
February 13th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Can't wait to feel so lonely during this day. :P
I'm lovin' it. :)

amitabhishek
February 13th, 2009, 07:26 AM
My GF wants diamond earrings! Wish I was single :(!

handy
February 13th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Just another consumer plot (from the U.S.) which has gradually infiltrated my country over the last 20 years.

pol666
February 13th, 2009, 01:49 PM
fortunately, In Argentina we don't celebrate Valentine's Day but there's a lot of publicities to sell products and finally integrate the holiday in own culture..

btw, I dislikes it, I think it's a hypocritical reason, and.....I'm single lol.

ch0d3
February 13th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Oh crap, that's tomorrow...

konqueror7
February 13th, 2009, 02:09 PM
birthday of my sl** ex-girlfriend...

looking for a replacement!!!

walkerk
February 13th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I convinced my wife that Valentine's Day is bogus. We are just going to dinner. No cards, flowers, chocolates, etc...

Sweet.

nothingspecial
February 13th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Your all forgetting the most important thing -

Presents!!!!

Any day where you get presents is a good day in my book.

I even invented a day to get presents on. It`s called "Extra Present Day" and it`s on October 10th.

Before we had kids and mother`s and father`s day didn`t exist for us there was too big a gap.
Xmas 24-Dec
Valentines 14-Feb
Wedding Anniversary 10-April
Her Bday 24-April
Mine 1-May

That`s 238 days with no presents!
I`m not standing for that so now there`s one in the middle.

Trouble is, the kids go to school and say to their friends - "What did you get for extra present day?" and that causes a whole load of other issues.

Thelasko
February 13th, 2009, 03:19 PM
My GF wants diamond earrings! Wish I was single :(!

Let me introduce you to my good friend cubic zirconia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_zirconia)

Dragonbite
February 13th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I'm double-whammied since Valentine's Day is also my wife's birthday! The only good thing is getting 2 birds with one stone! ;)

antonius uno
February 13th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Just find yourself someone who dislikes valentine. Mine doesn't like the commercial side and it's faaaaine by me. Still have headaches over birthdays though....

MarblePanther
February 13th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Can't wait to feel so lonely during this day. :P
I'm lovin' it. :)

I feel your pain :neutral:

Roasted
February 13th, 2009, 06:04 PM
It's noon. I have to work really late tonight. I still don't have a clue.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Polygon
February 14th, 2009, 03:33 AM
a store i went to today had balloons for valentines day and some employee wrote 'SINGLE PERSON AWARENESS DAY" on some balloons next to her. I can't agree more.

BugenhagenXIII
February 14th, 2009, 03:48 AM

I too am a romantic, and also believe that love is most certainly worth celebrating. However, I thing all the fuss that goes along with Valentine's Day is better saved for days which have actual meaning. Days like anniversaries or birthdays. Not just some random day where everyone's supposed to do something romantic for the one they're with "just because". If you want to do something "just because", it's much better to do it when your girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife/whatever least expects it.

With all that said, I am still celebrating V-day, if only because my girlfriend would kill me if I didn't.

handy
February 14th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Social engineering.

Appealing to the emotions.

Consumerism.

What is our world dying from? :-|

& people think that what they do makes no difference...](*,)

Ntacman
February 14th, 2009, 04:14 AM
*shudder*Valentines day...I hate it with a passion...Let the loneliness begin!

MarblePanther
February 14th, 2009, 04:18 AM
*shudder*Valentines day...I hate it with a passion...Let the loneliness begin!

Thankfully it is almost over for me as it is 10:20pm, phewww ;)

Dragonbite
February 14th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Valentine's day is also a chance for your loved one to show YOU how much they love you as well as how much you love them. It's a 2-way street.

diablo75
February 14th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I bought my girlfriend Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol. 2 and Tom Petty's Damn The Torpedoes on vinyl. (She bought me a record player for Christmas which is in the living room and these are her two favorite musicians. She's going to love them).

handy
February 15th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Valentine's day is also a chance for your loved one to show YOU how much they love you as well as how much you love them. It's a 2-way street.

What has valentine's day got to do with anything?

Apart from making money.

If people need to be told when to show someone else that they love them, care for & appreciate them, then boy, humanity is even more stupid than I imagined.

Kopachris
February 15th, 2009, 02:48 AM
It's my parents' anniversary today, so my brother and I bought us all each 2 lobster tails, 3 lobster claws, and 1 giant king crab leg for dinner. Came out to $40 each ($80 total). It was delicious. :P

handy
February 15th, 2009, 02:52 AM
It's my parents' anniversary today, so my brother and I bought us all each 2 lobster tails, 3 lobster claws, and 1 giant king crab leg for dinner. Came out to $40 each ($80 total). It was delicious. :P

You certainly wouldn't enjoy the documentary Earthlings.

Kopachris
February 15th, 2009, 05:52 AM
I would definitely find it boring. I mean, if we weren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat? ;)

wolfen69
February 15th, 2009, 06:20 AM
In Denmark Valentine's Day is a relatively new day of celebration. We only got it a couple of years ago

i bet my life that it was the americans that "pushed" it on your people.

btw, i did not get my girlfriend anything. i can't stand her.

Grant A.
February 15th, 2009, 06:25 AM

This is a non-preaching zone, and I would certainly love if you would stop trying to push propaganda on people everytime eating meat is mentioned. Seriously, I see you do this all of the time, and please stop. I don't go preaching to you about my beliefs or try to show you propaganda. I mean, if I wanted to know what it was, I would click the link in your signature...

wolfen69
February 15th, 2009, 06:43 AM
This is a non-preaching zone, and I would certainly love if you would stop trying to push propaganda on people everytime eating meat is mentioned. Seriously, I see you do this all of the time, and please stop. I don't go preaching to you about my beliefs or try to show you propaganda. I mean, if I wanted to know what it was, I would click the link in your signature...

while i agree with some of handy's sentiments, this is not the forum for it. there are MANY forums on the net where you can talk about these thing until you're blue in the face.

now let's get back to our regularly scheduled program.

handy
February 15th, 2009, 07:20 AM

I think you are both exaggerating & overreacting to the content of my posts.

If you don't like my posts, or they make you uncomfortable, then ignore them?

I'm very easy to avoid. :-)

Have a nice day?

MasterNetra
February 15th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I've never had anyone to celebrate it with otherwise i probably would celebrate it. :(