PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Speedy Distro?

duds2008
February 12th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Hello to the best community ever! I am not working this weekend, and have an important decision to make. I initially ran Debian `etch` (although I have tried several other distros) and found it to be extremely reliable and fast. I ran it for about 8 months without any major problems. The only thing that bothered me about it was this thought I had that it was intended to be run on servers 24/7. I decided to install Ubuntu `intrepid` in January of this year. I admit that I really like it but do not seem to have the same speed/performance that `etch` gave me. Do I go back to `etch`, try out `lenny` or stick to Ubuntu? I would really like to hear from other `pure` Debian (home pc) users.(I dont care about long release cycles). Thanks for any opinions/advice.:)

wolfen69
February 12th, 2009, 08:21 PM
lenny is set to be released as final in 2 days, so essentially it is already finished. i found lenny to be very stable and fast. plus, you will be using more up to date packages.

nothingspecial
February 12th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Arch linux - a minimal install configured yourself.

snowpine
February 12th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Hi Duds, I am running Debian Lenny (with the lightweight LXDE desktop environment) on one of my computers. Although Lenny is not yet the "stable" release of Debian, it will be really soon, and I've experienced no bugginess or crashes. I've never done an Etch install, so I can't compare the speed. Highly recommended. (They will be phasing out Etch over the next year.) There are lots of Debian desktop users; it's not just for servers!

If you are looking for a fun and fast tiny distro, I really love SliTaz! It would make a great compliment to a Debian install: dual boot Debian for stability and huge repositories, or SliTaz when you want to do a simple task as quickly as possible. :)

ibizatunes
February 12th, 2009, 08:25 PM
You can look at other distros but ubuntu 9.04 will be faster then 8.10
ext4 for one thing!! and kernal boot modification aswell so it up to you! 9.04 is out in april

duds2008
February 12th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Thank you "nothingspecial". I was not aware they had progressed that far!! Will definitely look into it. Thanks again.

Therion
February 12th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I recently did a full-blown hard-drive install of sidux (64 bit, Xfce) and I have to say, "Wow... Now that's a fast distro."

Think of it as Debian Sid with shock-absorbers.

duds2008
February 12th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks guys! I only wish my pc were as fast as your replies:)

Dr Small
February 12th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Arch linux - a minimal install configured yourself.
My thoughts exactly.

duds2008
February 12th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I recently did a full-blown hard-drive install of sidux (64 bit, Xfce) and I have to say, "Wow... Now that's a fast distro."

Think of it as Debian Sid with shock-absorbers. Is it Debian based?

duds2008
February 12th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Hi Duds, I am running Debian Lenny (with the lightweight LXDE desktop environment) on one of my computers. Although Lenny is not yet the "stable" release of Debian, it will be really soon, and I've experienced no bugginess or crashes. I've never done an Etch install, so I can't compare the speed. Highly recommended. (They will be phasing out Etch over the next year.) There are lots of Debian desktop users; it's not just for servers!

If you are looking for a fun and fast tiny distro, I really love SliTaz! It would make a great compliment to a Debian install: dual boot Debian for stability and huge repositories, or SliTaz when you want to do a simple task as quickly as possible. :) Thanks "snowpine"! I have tried slitaz, dsl,slax and puppy. I do not think you could ever beat that kind of speed!! However, I do not see them any good to be used as a home workstation, but they sure make for brilliant tools to rectify a damaged system!

binbash
February 12th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Debian is faster than ubuntu.If you want speed you can choose gentoo over arch

snowpine
February 12th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Is it Debian based?

Yes, it is based on Debian "Sid" or "unstable" with a few extra tools to hold it together. I love sidux as well; I just didn't recommend it earlier because you mentioned reliability was a big concern. :)

snowpine
February 12th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks "snowpine"! I have tried slitaz, dsl,slax and puppy. I do not think you could ever beat that kind of speed!! However, I do not see them any good to be used as a home workstation, but they sure make for brilliant tools to rectify a damaged system!

I used to feel that way about SliTaz as well, but it has really come a long way. My SliTaz setup has Firefox, OpenOffice 3, mplayer, thunar, etc. The 2.0 release is scheduled for later this spring, and I think it's going to be impressive. :)

I still would have a hard time recommending SliTaz as an only distro, simply because the repositories, while growing, are nowhere near as huge as Debian's...

duds2008
February 12th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Sidux sounds good. Stupid question of mine earlier! Of course Sidux is Debian based! The "sid" in it was a right give away!! And those little ones like Slitaz are really amazing when you consider their speed! Am going now to do some googling!! Thanks again and best wishes to you all!

Therion
February 12th, 2009, 08:54 PM
The sidux wiki is a good place to start:

http://sidux.com/module-pnWikka.html