PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Install, Can't Boot from LiveCD

unrelatedwaffle
February 12th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I am running an Asus M50vm-B1 with Windows Vista on the primary partition. I tried all of these things on a separate partition.
I first tried installing kubuntu via wubi, which would go through the motions of installing, but when I tried to boot up, I got several errors in the vein of "cannot find many of your devices."

I then tried installing kubuntu with the LiveCD, and it just wouldn't install. It froze up during every installation attempt.

I then tried installing ubuntu with the LiveCD, and that gave me the worst headache yet. It would thoroughly install, and then when I tried to set out on a maiden voyage, it flashed gibberish on my screen (I am not kidding, it looked like someone had mashed their hands on the keyboard repeatedly), and when I did a hard restart, my computer wouldn't even load ANYTHING until I had tried five or six times. I was afraid at this point that ubuntu had completely bricked my computer and have been too scared to try again.

Other people with this particular model have not had nearly this much trouble. I would very much like to use ubuntu, but I can't get past the install! Is my laptop just haunted?

P.S. Details on my once-in-a-lifetime error ("Expecting Reference Packet Element") in my previous post here (http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6519293).

unrelatedwaffle
February 16th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Wow, okay, I guess no one has any clue and never will. Bye bye, ubuntu, I guess I'm stuck with Windows for the duration.