PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Setting up USB install of Windows 7 from Ubuntu

joeboe
February 12th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I'm trying to install Windows 7 from a USB flash drive. All of the setup instructions are using a windows command prompt. I'm not really sure how a USB installation works, can I just have the iso file on the drive and boot from USB?

Can I use the 'Create a USB startup disk' step through under the System --> Administration to make a windows startup usb installation? Or will this process only work for ubuntu USB installations?

sleepyjon
February 12th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I don't know if you can use the usb creator, but you may be able to do it through a virtual machine..

Mark Phelps
February 12th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Don't know about the first, but as to the second, the steps are only for making an Ubuntu boot setup on USB. You do realize that when you install Seven it will overwrite your MBR and wipe out GRUB, right?

joeboe
February 13th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I'm a little confuseed, why would that be an issue if all I wanted was a clean install of Windows 7? I want the system to be only Windows 7.

sleepyjon
February 13th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I'm a little confuseed, why would that be an issue if all I wanted was a clean install of Windows 7? I want the system to be only Windows 7.

It's not if that's what you want. He was just making sure you knew.