PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] problem installing inside a winxp ... which account to log in?

girogio
February 12th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I've installed xubuntu 8.10 on my desktop from inside winxp.
All ok ... but the instalelr didn't asked me for a password neither an username, so now xubuntu boots regularly but I don't know which account to use! And I can'yt log in (neither I know root accout!)

Is this regular? Should the isntalelr ask me as for a normal ubuntu instalaltion on a new system?

What can I do?

thanks!

Giorgio

lemming465
February 15th, 2009, 12:12 AM
When it goes to boot, at the grub menu (comes up after you pick the WUBI/ubuntu option from the XP boot menu, if I understood you correctly), boot in recovery mode. You should get a '#' shell prompt running as root. Try something like tail /etc/passwd or ls /home to see what user accounts are defined. Pick one you want to log into and do passwd ThatLoginName to reset the password to something you know. Type exit to go finish the multi-user / GUI boot.

If you don't have a "recovery mode" boot item but do have a grub menu, type "e" for edit, arrow down one to the kernel line, "e" again, added single to the end, press enter, and press "b" to continue booting. Carry on as above.

girogio
February 16th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Thankyou! ... solved with your suggestions!
It's the first time for me with Ubuntu .. always used Debian!
Recovery mode was the solution ...

Giorgio