PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox Downgrade... oops, I really did it this time...

benf101
February 12th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Well, after a stroke of genius, I officially took-out any ability to ever run Firefox again.

Aptana studio just had to use Firefox-2. I had Firefox-3. Some website said that if you have Firefox 3 that you need to type in sudo apt-get install firefox2... But it made me uninstall Firefox 3 first.

After uninstalling FF3, I "successfully" installed FF2 but it wouldn't run. So I tried to go back and reinstall FF3 and that says it's successful but it won't run either. So I tried uninstalling everything Firefox and reinstalling FF3. No dice.

The error message that comes up says "Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system."

Restarting doesn't work, FYI.

Any ideas?

dstew
February 12th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Maybe first try to repair whatever firefox is left by
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
If you want to get rid of all traces of a program that was installed using apt-get, you sometimes need to use
sudo apt-get remove --purge firefox2 or firefox3 if you want to remove that.

benf101
February 12th, 2009, 06:41 PM
That did not seem to help. Anything else I should do next?

By the way, just for the benefit of anyone else using this post, use the command sudo apt-get remove --purge firefox-2, not sudo apt-get remove --purge firefox2. (Notice the hyphen after firefox).

benf101
February 13th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Solved:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=453204

During my upgrade to aptana, I had to add a new profile. Typing "firefox -ProfileManager", then deleting the aptana profile solved it. I hate when that happens.