PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how do u become a super user?

Arminius
February 12th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I'm trying to install vmware servor
and it won't install it says
"Please re-run this program as the super user.

Execution aborted."

so how do I run this program as the super user?

Sub101
February 12th, 2009, 05:37 PM
You would need to run:

gksudo

from the command line.

JTempelm
February 12th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I use "su" and then I enter my root password, that is after the account is active which I learned how to do on the forum. If you type "whoami" after that into the command line it should say you are root, and thus have all root privledges

JK3mp
February 12th, 2009, 05:42 PM
sub101 beat me too it :(

Arminius
February 12th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I did what u said JTempelm, but it just says "su: Authentication failure"
any ideas? and it is the right password

binbash
February 12th, 2009, 06:36 PM
sudo su -

icp
February 12th, 2009, 06:36 PM
try:

sudo
example:

sudo apt-get install PROGRAMM

dstew
February 12th, 2009, 06:43 PM
It is probably a bad idea to activate the root account, as suggested JTempelm. That creates a security hole that allows attacks to use administrative privleges. Better to grant yourself temporary superuser (administrative) privleges with sudo (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo). If the program you are trying to run has a graphical user interfact, you should use gksudo. The su root command will only work if the root account has been activated. The command su without an argument is just shorthand for su root.

donkyhotay
February 12th, 2009, 06:47 PM
You should use sudo or gksudo, it's actually against forum rules to give information on how to enable the root user. It's assumed that anything you need to do with as root can be done with sudo and the few rare things that require root rather then sudo are so advanced you should know how to enable the root user on your own before attempting them.

//edit: another useful tool if you prefer the GUI over the CLI is nautilus-gksu which is available in the ubuntu repos. It allows you to run a program with gksudo by just right-clicking on the file.