PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Let's get System76 on Newegg!

DPic
February 12th, 2009, 05:06 PM
http://secure.newegg.com/FeedBack/ShallWeCarry.aspx

Anybody have other good places to post this link to?

thomasaaron
February 12th, 2009, 05:45 PM
System76's owners are aware of newegg. I'll pass the thread on to them.

DPic
February 12th, 2009, 08:05 PM
System76's owners are aware of newegg. I'll pass the thread on to them.

Oh...this was actually more of a call to System76 customers to ask Newegg to carry their machines.

thomasaaron
February 12th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I see. I misunderstood.

jpoRS
February 14th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Well I think some pressure both from us, the users, and the support of the company would be the most effective method.

jim

arepaking
February 16th, 2009, 05:15 AM
This is great! I did my part by suggesting the Darter Ultra model that I own.

arepaking
February 16th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Here is the response I received. If they receive more requests from user we could see System76 appear in their website.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Newegg.

Thank you for the kind suggestion and if we get enough requests from various people, we may more than likely add the item on our site. Your email will be forwarded to our related department for review shortly.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please visit our FAQs page. If you still need assistance, please feel free to email me directly and I will be happy to assist you.

Thank you,

Tina Jia

viridari
February 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM
What is the benefit of adding a middleman? Why wouldn't I want to order directly from System76.com?

lostinquestions
February 24th, 2009, 06:20 PM
The advantage isn't for you, but rather for System76 and Ubuntu. When you introduce a product to a public arena like Newegg, you instantly receive more customers because they don't have to be hunting for your product to order it. When you put System76 notebooks on Newegg, people are far more likely to stumble across them.

This seems like a relevant thread, so I'll bring it up:

Probably one of the largest advantages to selling laptops with Linux installed is that you get free advertising. The dedication of the Linux community, especially the Ubuntu community, to its operating system doesn't occur to the same degree in any other operating system. That means that you have 3% of the population trying to convince others to buy from this retailer. Quite interesting, but I think it would help System76 to try and capitalize a bit more on that free advertising.

aysiu
February 24th, 2009, 06:32 PM
The advantage isn't for you, but rather for System76 and Ubuntu. When you introduce a product to a public arena like Newegg, you instantly receive more customers because they don't have to be hunting for your product to order it. When you put System76 notebooks on Newegg, people are far more likely to stumble across them. And if NewEgg drives enough customers to System76, System76 can order parts in larger bulk and have a slightly higher profit margin.

If there were no advantage to NewEgg, Amazon, and other "middlemen," the big OEMs wouldn't sell through them either. Why would Sony sell Vaios through NewEgg when people can just go to the Sony website? Same for HP or Dell? Or Apple?

DPic
February 25th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Probably one of the largest advantages to selling laptops with Linux installed is that you get free advertising. The dedication of the Linux community, especially the Ubuntu community, to its operating system doesn't occur to the same degree in any other operating system. That means that you have 3% of the population trying to convince others to buy from this retailer. Quite interesting, but I think it would help System76 to try and capitalize a bit more on that free advertising.

I absolutely agree with this! System76 needs to seriously expand is 76er program (https://system76.authsecure.com/article_info.php?articles_id=26) to individuals and anyone and not require an account! More materials, even if it's only advertising System76, should be posted on the wiki (http://knowledge76.com/index.php/76er_Program) for anyone to print out and distribute!