PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing Ubuntu 8.10 on a laptop with vista

kris31
February 12th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Hi,

I am new to Ubuntu. I have a thinkpad 500 with vista on it. I created a separate partition using the Disk manager on vista (I have not formatted or labeled this partition). I want to install Ubuntu as well on this laptop because vista is super slow (I do not want to remove vista though). So I made a boot cd using ubuntu-8.10 following the instructions on the ubuntu web site. I then tried to boot using that CD in order to install Ubuntu. But when I choose the install option after selecting the English language during setup, the installation does not start. Could someone please help with the steps I need to follow to create a dual-boot system with vista and ubuntu?

Regnulify
February 12th, 2009, 03:27 PM
try rebooting to the cd, but instead of the default option select "Check CD for defects". Most of these problems come from things like this.

Also select the default option in the boot menu (if you already haven't) and let ubuntu boot up in ram mode. Then double click the install option on the desktop to install from there.

Also, one of the complaints I see with ubuntu is that some operations appear to time out but they are still working. If you do not find any defects, try the install and give it a couple of minutes to see if it updates.

Mark Phelps
February 12th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Heartily support the option of booting into the LiveCD, since that will give you a good indication of what will, and will not, work "out of the box" in Ubuntu on your laptop.

Anything that doesn't work is likely to take a LOT of post-install hacking to correct.

At least this way, you can see what's ahead of you if you install Ubuntu.