PDA

View Full Version : Time's people of the year

rjwood
December 21st, 2005, 05:23 PM
I see that Bono and the Gates' is their people of the year. I have to agree. After all Bill and Melinda have given 6 billion dollars of their own money towards medical relief in 3rd world countries. I just wish his company was more ethical. It's really a shame as he will probably go down in history like La Guardia. Did some good things but was also known as greedy. Anyway they do deserve it.

rj

macgyver2
December 21st, 2005, 06:02 PM
I see that Bono and the Gates' is their people of the year. I have to agree. After all Bill and Melinda have given 6 billion dollars of their own money towards medical relief in 3rd world countries. I just wish his company was more ethical. It's really a shame as he will probably go down in history like La Guardia. Did some good things but was also known as greedy. Anyway they do deserve it.
I saw the cover last night. I didn't like how it separated Bill and Melinda, placing Melinda in the back. In addition, her photo looked smaller than Bill's and Bono's. I just didn't think the layout was right.

Also, I hesitate when judging charity by (edit: dollar) amounts. On one hand, I absolutely applaud those who would give 6 billion dollars to medical relief in needed areas. On the other hand, what is 6 billion dollars to the Gates'? They give money they don't need. I think the people who should be recognized are those who are so charitable that they would give money to good causes at the expense of their own medical (or other survival) needs.

mstlyevil
December 21st, 2005, 06:22 PM
I saw the cover last night. I didn't like how it separated Bill and Melinda, placing Melinda in the back. In addition, her photo looked smaller than Bill's and Bono's. I just didn't think the layout was right.

Also, I hesitate when judging charity by (edit: dollar) amounts. On one hand, I absolutely applaud those who would give 6 billion dollars to medical relief in needed areas. On the other hand, what is 6 billion dollars to the Gates'? They give money they don't need. I think the people who should be recognized are those who are so charitable that they would give money to good causes at the expense of their own medical (or other survival) needs.

You have to look at it like this. Many billionaires like Trump do not give large portions of their fortunes away to those in need. Instead they lead a lavish lifestyle that waste billions on useless stuff just to impress everyone. Gates for many years lived modest and now he still does not live on the level that most billionaires do. Also Gates has made it clear that he is not leaving the bulk of his fortune to his heirs but is going to put back in his foundation to continue to good work for generations to come. He could very well give most of his whealth away now but that would mean it could not grow and continue to help others later. I believe that he is doing it because he believes it is the right thing to do. I may not liuke all his bussiness practices, but I can seperate his bussiness side and his personal side.