PDA

View Full Version : I have returned to ubuntu... But some questions.

Quake
February 12th, 2009, 01:57 AM
I brought myself a new system: AMD Athlon 5200+, 2 GB Ram, Geforce 8800GS...

But now, I'm wondering if installing ubuntu 32 bit was a good idea. I've installed it because people in the past said they had problems with the 64 bit version, but I would like to know how is 8.10 64 bit?

I don't know I don't need it since I don't have 4 GB or more ram but will it be a good idea to install it before I customize this 32 bit version?

Btw, Ubuntu really changed! Compiz, the speed with this comp is simply amazing, Makes vista looks a bit out of it league.

jenkinbr
February 12th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I'd play with both and see whick one runs faster and better, but that's just me.

edit: Oh, and welcome back to Ubuntu!

Bart_D
February 12th, 2009, 02:07 AM
...will it be a good idea to install it before I customize this 32 bit version?....

YES!!!

If the 64 bit version does not perform to your satisfaction, you can always fall back to the 32 bit version knowing that you tried.

Joeb454
February 12th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Personally, I'm running 64 bit so well, I actually forget sometimes ;)

Basically - it works fine for me, Flash & Java is even pretty easy to set up now :)

jrusso2
February 12th, 2009, 02:11 AM
I would say with under four gigs of ram and being a newbie to stay with 32 bit. There are things you will need to know to get everything working in 64 bit and you don't need it yet since your ram is low. Being a newbie just using something that works easier might be best.

Quake
February 12th, 2009, 02:26 AM
I would say with under four gigs of ram and being a newbie to stay with 32 bit. There are things you will need to know to get everything working in 64 bit and you don't need it yet since your ram is low. Being a newbie just using something that works easier might be best.

I'm not really a newbie since I know my way around codes and configs. Just now, I had to configure the metamodes with modelines (X.org) so that the custom resolution and refresh rate works.
So I can manage with the configuration.

But I'm lazy to install the 64 bit version :p. Because the livd CD really doesn't do justice. The best way to to judge ubuntu is to install it and wow... right now, I'm really impressed. I haven't used it from 7.04 so I'm just amazed at the progress it made.

Edit: Btw, who tried both versions before settling on one? Which version was the fastest on your comp?

kk0sse54
February 12th, 2009, 02:35 AM
I have 1 GB Ram and have been running 64 bit Arch Linux without any problems at all especially now that they've released a 64 bit version of flash.

Quake
February 12th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Ah damnit, You make me feel that I have to install the 64 bit version...

ArtF10
February 12th, 2009, 02:48 AM
...There are things you will need to know to get everything working in 64 bit....

Do you have specifics?

jenkinbr
February 12th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Ah damnit, You make me feel that I have to install the 64 bit version...
Hey, you asked for opinions, and you got them. :)

gn2
February 12th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Edit: Btw, who tried both versions before settling on one? Which version was the fastest on your comp?

Phoronix ran some comparisons (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_810_vs_fedora_10&num=1).

As expected 64 bit was much faster in encoding tasks.

I have tried both, 64 is definitely much faster doing CD/DVD ripping and .avi converting.

This guide (http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-Adobe-Flash-Player-64-bit-on-Ubuntu-8-10-98076.shtml) shows how to very easily install 64-bit flash, although it's an Alpha, it works very well indeed.
There's a newer version available to download on the Adobe website (http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html).

These days there's no reason to run 32-bit, it's like buying a six cylinder car and running it with two spark plug leads disconnected.

If you have a separate /home you can install 64-bit and keep the existing /home from your 32-bit installation without formatting it or deleting any files.

shadylookin
February 12th, 2009, 03:16 AM
I've been using 64bit for 3 years now on my desktop and I haven't had any issues with it. flash now has a real 64bit plugin, sun released an official 64bit java plugin recently. My laptops wireless drivers were even open sourced and now work on 64bit.

I think if you want to you should give the world of 64bit a go

Dr. C
February 12th, 2009, 03:34 AM
With GNU / Linux for example Ubuntu I see no reason to install the 32bit version on a 64bit processor. So my suggestion is go with 64bit.

One suggestion: If you plan to install Ubnutu restricted extras (mp3, avi, TrueType flash etc) install that first and then follow the instructions in the guide above to install the 64bit flash from Adobe. Although this is an "alpha" it is really stable.

By the way the 64bit flash for GNU / Linux is the only native 64bit version of flash available since there is at this time no 64bit Windows or Mac versions of flash.

3rdalbum
February 12th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I would say with under four gigs of ram and being a newbie to stay with 32 bit. There are things you will need to know to get everything working in 64 bit

That's like saying that you should stick with Windows because "there are things you will need to know to get everything working in Linux". But in reality there's darn near nothing extra that you need to do for 64-bit Ubuntu to work just as well as 32-bit.

wolfen69
February 12th, 2009, 05:03 AM

i didn't notice any difference. i think that unless you are doing some SERIOUS number crunching, 32bit is just fine. but the 64bit fanboys will have you believe that it's 80,000 times faster, anticipates your every move, and tucks you into bed at night.

jimi_hendrix
February 12th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Personally, I'm running 64 bit so well, I actually forget sometimes ;)

i do to until i see "error wrong architecture"...

and when i hack asm cause i am borded

Quake
February 12th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I think since Linux doesn't have a big market yet, it's easier for the platform to migrate and test 64 bit.

So I think I'm going to take the leap... No stability problems whatsoever with Flash 64 bit? Every programs that you need has been compiled in 64 bit? The Nvidia driver is stable?

gn2
February 12th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I think since Linux doesn't have a big market yet, it's easier for the platform to migrate and test 64 bit.

Wonder if all those web servers are 64-bit...?

So I think I'm going to take the leap... No stability problems whatsoever with Flash 64 bit? Every programs that you need has been compiled in 64 bit? The Nvidia driver is stable?

1: I've not had any bother with 64-bit flash
2: Never had to compile anything, the repos for 64-bit are well populated with all manner of software
3: Don't have any Nvidia graphics adapters.

You'll get answers here though: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=343

Quake
February 12th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Wonder if all those web servers are 64-bit...?

I was talking about the desktop market share since I know Linux literally controls the world (servers)...

Quake
February 13th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I have installed Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit, so far, no problems... except that I found the mouse a little slow. So I kept on changing the gnome mouse options but it just made it worse (I wish the mouse option was as straightforward as Windows).

Where's mouse file config so that I can make the changes there and can somebody give me the default values? Thanks

Quake
February 13th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I retract my statement, Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit feels like a beta OS. Right now, on one of my account, the multimedia keys stopped working so I created an another account to check and it works there.

And now... on this new account, when I try to play music, the sound is loud, as if pulseaudio forgets it settings. Then the music player freezes. I then open it again and I find that the volume is at the correct setting.
I have this problem everything I log in to the brand new account.

So I guess I'm just going to back to 32 bit since I did not have problems with it.

gn2
February 14th, 2009, 12:15 AM
If thy pulseaudio offends thee, pluck it out.

I always remove it as one of the first jobs on a fresh install of 32 or 64 bit, it's carp on both.

Quake
February 14th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I have reinstalled the 32 bit version and I will try the next 64 bit version.

Sound will work without pulseaudio? Alsa will be the one controling the mixer after pulseaudio is removed?

Edit: I've removed it and now the media players are running fine. Pulseaudio is like a virus, taking 93% of the cpu before crashing the media players.