PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I disable horizontal scroll, with scroll wheel?

billdav
February 12th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I'm having trouble disabling horizontal scrolling via the mouse wheel in Ubuntu. I found a thread here that seemed to address it:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=713918

That thread is in archive, so I can't reply to it. The third post down in the thread, says this:

System >> Preferences >> Mouse

There will be (on one of the tabs) checkboxes for Horizontal and vertical scrolling

I knew I'd already looked there and hadn't seen anything. I looked again anyway. The first tab is "General", and gives me Mouse Orientation, Locate Pointer, Pointer Speed, Drag and Drop, Double Click Timeout and a double-click test light bulb. The second tab is "Accessiblity", and gives me Simulated Secondary Click, and Dwell Click. There is no third tab. I see no check boxes for horizontal/vertical scrolling. Is there something I need to do to enable more options?

I'm using Eclipse and when I try to vertical scroll by using the mouse wheel, it's OK as long as I scroll slowly. If I spin the mouse wheel fast, it starts side scrolling, which I find extremely irritating because I have to go move it back horizontally so that I can see the part of the window that I'm interested in.

I asked people in an Eclipse newsgroup and they said that it's the mouse driver. I've had no luck figuring out what to do there.

$ uname -a
Linux hostname 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Mon Jan 26 00:13:11 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 8.04.2
Release: 8.04
Codename: hardy