PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help with install

ryanknex
February 12th, 2009, 12:29 AM
i have a old laptop that i dban'ed and im trying to install ubuntu 8.10 i tryed burning the iso file to a disk but all i have is CD-RW and i kept getting the error "i/o error reading boot cd" i just downloading the DVD iso and all i have is dvd-rw. so idk if it will word. i also tryed booting from usb drive but my laptop only give me 5 boot options.
boot from cd
boot from built-in HDD
boot from FDD
boot from second HDD
boot from default

i tryed all of them and no luck. my screen doesnt change at all when i select an option. this is really bugging me. any help would be great.

also i tryed alternate version and i got up to the part when is was installing base but at 6% i got errors that files were not found and could not be downloaded.

wpshooter
February 12th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Are you burning the CD at 4X or less ?

Have you ran the Ubuntu CD integrity check function that is found on the initial Ubuntu boot screen menu ?

P.S. - Use www.killdisk.com to WIPE your hard drive. Dban is overkill.

Good luck.

ryanknex
February 12th, 2009, 01:45 AM
yeah i burned at 4x thats the lowest my drive will go.
and i tryed to do the integrity check but i get "i/o error reading boot cd"

avtolle
February 12th, 2009, 01:49 AM
In my experience, older drives have a problem with or just won't read CD-RWs. Thus, as I have some older hw, I keep a supply of CD-Rs (and DVD-Rs) around for installation, etc., always burning at 4x or slower. So, you might need to lay your hands on a CD-R. Good luck.

wpshooter
February 12th, 2009, 01:51 AM
yeah i burned at 4x thats the lowest my drive will go.
and i tryed to do the integrity check but i get "i/o error reading boot cd"

Try another CD-RW piece of media. Try a different BRAND of CD-RW media. If you have the proper CD-cleaning facility, try cleaning your CD drive.

P.S. - Do you know for certain as to whether you CD drive firmware is on the latest and greatest version ?

ryanknex
February 12th, 2009, 01:54 AM
i have a CD-R (700mb) but it says i only have like 537 mb free but its blank.
im trying a DVD-RW with the dvd iso, ill see what happends

abn91c
February 12th, 2009, 02:12 AM
i have a CD-R (700mb) but it says i only have like 537 mb free but its blank.
im trying a DVD-RW with the dvd iso, ill see what happends
If you are using a windows pc to erase the disks, DON'T right click on the drive and choose format, that is why you getting 537MB. If you have real player installed use the real player cd burning option to erase your disk then you will get 702mb space

ryanknex
February 12th, 2009, 02:57 AM
i finally got it working. i ran a integrity check and everything is A ok. i just need to install and hopefully ill be good to go.

thanks for the help guys

whobunstu
February 12th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I had a similar issue. I ended up using the ALTERNATE install version. I was able to get everything running with that version.