PDA

View Full Version : OpenID Opinions

Dekkon
February 11th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I am the only one who is thinking that OpenID just isn't going to cut it?

The way it works, it was not created and implemented with the users in mind. I was going to implement this into my site, after seeing how complex it is, for users and developers alone.

Am I the only one who likes the Purpose OpenID is suppose to be, but not the way it has been implemented and created?

*Ya, I like run on sentences* :P

Polygon
February 12th, 2009, 01:09 AM
i never even understood how this works, nor do i want to as no website i visit uses it.

Dekkon
February 12th, 2009, 01:15 AM
i never even understood how this works, nor do i want to as no website i visit uses it.

It's pretty complex at first, using terms like Providers, Identifiers, relying party.

In simple terms, you have a url(something@provider.com), when you find a site that uses OpenID, you simply enter your URL(something@provider.com), then it takes you to provider.com, where you log in, after you log in to your OpenID provider, it takes you back to the site that uses openID, and then your logged in.

There are many sites that are starting to implement this, including most, big corporations, listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenID .

It's just not advertised by most of these sites, but it's there.

I just wanted to know peoples opinions on this.

Dr Small
February 12th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I have OpenID, but I don't think that it is as popular as when it first came out, and not many projects implemented it so it really wasn't worth while.

binbash
February 12th, 2009, 11:45 AM
it is waste of time in my opinion

billgoldberg
February 12th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I have openid and use it every now and then.

Too bad so few sites use it.

K.Mandla
February 12th, 2009, 02:57 PM
If I have more than one personality, can I -- er, we get more than one ID?

cammin
February 12th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I don't like the premise or the implementation.

gnomeuser
February 12th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I love OpenID, it allows me to have one login and one username regardless of where I need it. Be that a forum, for blog comments or whatever.

I really wish more places would use it, it might not be the best solution possible but it works well and it solves a real source of annoyance and insecurity.

I use it all the time for leaving blog comments, it feels great to not have to first create an account, generate a password, just to leave one comment on an interesting post on a blog where you will likely never comment again. It makes the entrance barrier for debating in this fashion much lower, and with a little cleverness it also allows for the creation of a log of interesting postings based on comments. This is something I personally use a lot when providing references in other debates, who hasn't forgotten just where one found that one fact or quote which you forgot to bookmark, just knowing it was on some developers blog and the general area of interest. Now I could google for hours and search browser logs, or I could look up in the handy log of posts I commented on.. I will pick the latter and save my valuable time.

TravisNewman
February 12th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Based on what I've seen lately, it seems that more sites let you sign in with your facebook account than an open id. I think open id may have failed at it's original intent. The idea was great but the implementation was lacking.

Vadi
February 12th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I use openid, nicer to see more sites to accept it so I don't have to register

Toky
March 2nd, 2009, 07:54 PM
I love OpenID, i can use it to access most of my personal accounts (bank, mileage plans, car rentals, investments, gmail, facebook, flickr, photobucket, and many more)

I (personally) like the verisign seatbelt (firefox extension) that tells you if you can use your OpenID on your current website (https://pip.verisignlabs.com/)

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr129/TokyNET/OpenID-Images/SeatbeltPlugin.jpg

I'm pretty sure it WILL continue to catch more momentum and keep growing.

bobbocanfly
March 2nd, 2009, 10:47 PM
I love OpenID. I installed the Wordpress OpenID plugin on my blog and use it to login everywhere I possibly can. I also think Launchpad is an OpenID provider, so will have an OpenID there. Unfortunately, very few websites let you log in with OpenID, so we are stuck with conventional username and password in most places.

Toky
March 5th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Yes, i've noticed that the part about allowing one to create an account with the OpenID credentials is not fully implemented everywhere that OpenID is available.

maybeway36
March 5th, 2009, 12:55 AM
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org is the only site I've used that lets you log in with OpenID. I just use my old AOL/AIM login name. Reuse, repurpose, recycle :)