PDA

View Full Version : Share a line about Linux that could start an argument!

linkmaster03
February 11th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I am writing a persuasive research paper for school on Linux, and I'm having trouble of thinking of a "hot topic", an issue. My teacher explained what the issue should be like, which means I can't just do "I think Linux is better than Windows". It's put me in a pickle. I can't seem to think of something relating to Linux that could start an argument that isn't just a simple opinion as I stated above. Something that some people would understand, at least, not just computer guys.

People are used to PC vs. Mac, but most don't even know what Linux is. This brought me to think about smartphones, but I'm really just stuck. I'd be very grateful if some of you guys could contribute, since most of us love our operating system.

swoll1980
February 11th, 2009, 11:26 PM
:-k ...

shadylookin
February 11th, 2009, 11:39 PM
linux is more user friendly than windows
linux is more secure than windows

DeadSuperHero
February 11th, 2009, 11:44 PM
With the decline in the market infrastructure of the global economy, it would be more viable for both corporations and consumers alike to choose Open Source collaborative solutions over the standard limited proprietary toolset.

ticopelp
February 11th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Linux empowers the end user in an age when Microsoft, DRM, and media companies are doing their best to take all that power away.

I also think the security angle could be good.

Cl0ud9
February 12th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Why Open Source software, such as the Linux operating system, is more secure than proprietary software.

Tatty
February 12th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Compiz is useful.

Emacs is better than vi.

Greg
February 12th, 2009, 01:23 AM
"Linux is the best OS out there- wait, how can you argue with that?"

jenkinbr
February 12th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Why Open Source software, such as the Linux operating system, is more secure than proprietary software.
+1, great Idea.

Luiggipro
February 12th, 2009, 02:12 AM
"Linux is the best OS out there- wait, how can you argue with that?"

so true :P

Brightbelt
February 12th, 2009, 02:38 AM
- The unexpected evolution of Linux from command line to desktop-friendly software.

- Why Linux's fragmentation into mutiple distros is actually Good for Linux and for open source.

- Why the fragmentation into multiple distros is Bad for Linux and for open source. (This would most certainly start an argument...)

- Linux's struggle with Pro Applications and the need for Wine and CrossOver

-

juanmoreno92
February 12th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Just the mere mentioning of the word "linux" will bring a gasp to your teacher and make her give you an A++.

steveneddy
February 12th, 2009, 05:09 AM
If Linux were as popular as Windows, how would our computing world be different today?

kavon89
February 12th, 2009, 05:32 AM

I like this one. You can find many articles online which explain why closed source software ends up being less secure than open source.

jimi_hendrix
February 12th, 2009, 05:43 AM
emacs is better than vi.

lies!!

jimi_hendrix
February 12th, 2009, 05:44 AM
If Linux were as popular as Windows, how would our computing world be different today?

define popular...we are popular with servers and non-desktop computer devices

MaxIBoy
February 12th, 2009, 05:54 AM
+1, this is the best answer. Especially in light of some of the FUD Microsoft likes to throw around.

dspari1
February 12th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I am writing a persuasive research paper for school on Linux, and I'm having trouble of thinking of a "hot topic", an issue. My teacher explained what the issue should be like, which means I can't just do "I think Linux is better than Windows". It's put me in a pickle. I can't seem to think of something relating to Linux that could start an argument that isn't just a simple opinion as I stated above. Something that some people would understand, at least, not just computer guys.

People are used to PC vs. Mac, but most don't even know what Linux is. This brought me to think about smartphones, but I'm really just stuck. I'd be very grateful if some of you guys could contribute, since most of us love our operating system.

Linux users don't have to worry about viruses.

Rokurosv
February 12th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Will Linux ever break the 1% (I think it's less) marketshare barrier?

abn91c
February 12th, 2009, 06:10 AM
maybe do to paper on " I Ubuntu, therefore I Am" :)

RiceMonster
February 12th, 2009, 06:10 AM
lies!!

thats what i was thinking

-grubby
February 12th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Linux will never become mainstream.

abhilashm86
February 12th, 2009, 06:29 AM
we command linux(so friendly) and other os like MS commands us:)

kk0sse54
February 12th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Emacs is better than vi.
Funniest one I've heard yet :D

sambita
February 12th, 2009, 07:13 AM
With the decline in the market infrastructure of the global economy, it would be more viable for both corporations and consumers alike to choose Open Source collaborative solutions over the standard limited proprietary toolset.

+1

I think this one is great!

MikeTheC
February 12th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Why is it this thread reminds me of a Monty Python sketch?

YouTube: Monty Python's "Argument Clinic" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM)

"A Linux-using Irishman walks into a bar, and..."

Oh, wait a minute. That might be sufficient itself.

"How many Windows users does it take to screw in a lightbulb?"

No, that doesn't actually mention Linux. Sorry.

"Linux is better than Windows, you dumb son-of-a..."

Yeah, that's be perfect. It's concise, argumentative, and not only includes the word Linux, but actually starts with it.

steveneddy
February 12th, 2009, 07:53 AM
define popular...we are popular with servers and non-desktop computer devices

Popular as in there are a billion Microsoft desktops worldwide and Microsoft-computers-PC all mean the same think to most people. They don't know the difference.

What if Linux were extremely popular, everyone had it, it was still free and the concept was the same. Developers letting anyone use the software gratis. But no one was afraid of the command line because, of course, it is so popular that we all learned it while we were young and we couldn't think of using another operating system (there are other operating systems?)

Life without virus, trojans or malware. Everyone respected one another because the stresses of crappy computers crashing all the time didn't stress out the population so there were less wars, divorce was almost non-existant and I only had to mow the grass one a year.

You still have and use the same PC that you were given in fourth grade and it still ran well, even with Compiz-Fission turned on.

popular-Webster says-"commonly liked or approved, easy to understand"
http://stuff.mit.edu/people/biomorph/defines/popular.html

regarded with great favor

Defined.

MikeTheC
February 12th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Popular as in there are a billion Microsoft desktops worldwide and Microsoft-computers-PC all mean the same think to most people. They don't know the difference.

What if Linux were extremely popular, everyone had it, it was still free and the concept was the same. Developers letting anyone use the software gratis. But no one was afraid of the command line because, of course, it is so popular that we all learned it while we were young and we couldn't think of using another operating system (there are other operating systems?)

Life without virus, trojans or malware. Everyone respected one another because the stresses of crappy computers crashing all the time didn't stress out the population so there were less wars, divorce was almost non-existant and I only had to mow the grass one a year.

You still have and use the same PC that you were given in fourth grade and it still ran well, even with Compiz-Fission turned on.

popular-Webster says-"commonly liked or approved, easy to understand"
http://stuff.mit.edu/people/biomorph/defines/popular.html

regarded with great favor

Defined.

You missed one thing. "...And if, everywhere you went, members of the opposite sex fawned and fell all over you because of your Linux-based computer..."

I mean, dude... for that, I am soooo there.

JK3mp
February 12th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Why would i wanna start an argument? xD

NE Key
February 12th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Open source is inherently insecure because everyone can see the code.

cleverselfreferentialname
February 12th, 2009, 08:36 AM

If the argument has to be accepted as at least a viewpoint considered valid in the field (that is, not contrary to the field's consensus), this might not work. If not, this is fantastic, because it's a common misconnection.

Such a statement could, actually, apply to a vendor who could have more people of diverse schools of thought look at their code or otherwise generate more "bug-hunting power" than everyone who ultimately looks at the code in the 'bazaar.' It also assumes that the benefits of security through obscurity are greater than the added benefits of having another n bughunters in the open source community. This basically applies to no one. Maybe the NSA.

Good suggestion.

utnubuuser
February 12th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Open source is better than Free.

earthpigg
February 12th, 2009, 11:20 AM
[QUOTE=cleverselfreferentialname;6721047]It also assumes that the benefits of security through obscurity are greater than the added benefits of having another n bughunters in the open source community. This basically applies to no one. Maybe the NSA.
QUOTE]

i dont think it even applies there. NSA are big *nix users and contributors.

http://www.nsa.gov/research/selinux/

mohitchawla
February 12th, 2009, 12:10 PM
maybe do to paper on " I Ubuntu, therefore I Am" :)

I think that's the best one so far. A very subtle title and you can build a lot from there including whatever has been mentioned so far.

Chessmaster
February 12th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Guess it depends on where you wanted to start the argument.

If on a Linux form, it would be easy to say something along the lines of "Linux is inferior to Windows in every way"* and all hell would break loose!

* Disclaimer: I, in no way, think that this is the case of course, but you did ask for a line that could start an argument.

BuffaloX
February 12th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Linux and Open source software versatility and scaling

Due to its open source nature:
Linux scales very well both up and down from supercomputers to mobile phones and custom hardware like routers.

On the desktop it scales from using terminal only to maximize resources for intensive processes, to the most advanced GUI with Compiz to maximize user experience, and you can choose multiple alternatives in between.

Open source allows full customization to fit niche markets that is impossible to match for closed software.
A recent example is Netbooks that became viable because Gnu/Linux could be customized to run well on relatively low end hardware, including alternative CPU's like MIPS.

notwen
February 12th, 2009, 02:40 PM
"I use Linux."

I figure in the right situations/places this would be more than enough. =]

kavon89
February 12th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Often it is poor code hidden by being closed source which have simple mistakes which lead to vulnerbilities.

http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/269

Greg
February 12th, 2009, 04:49 PM
"People who use Linux are more likely to find an attractive life partner of the opposite sex"

chucky chuckaluck
February 12th, 2009, 04:55 PM
when the football player and the cheerleader have linux on all their computers, the geek will be obsol33t.

zakany
February 12th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Linux is not ready for the desktop.

Linux is a toy - not mature enough to do real work.

Linux open-source culture retards its acceptance.

MasterNetra
February 12th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Linux sucks compared to windows.

Barely anything works on linux.

Going with linux hurts the economy.

Note: I don't actually believe in the previous statements, just think they would start a arguement. :p

TravisNewman
February 12th, 2009, 10:18 PM
A line about Linux that could start an argument?
"Linux isn't fat and bloated like your mom."

justsomedude
February 12th, 2009, 10:41 PM
2037 will be the year of the Linux desktop.

chucky chuckaluck
February 13th, 2009, 04:41 AM
"Linux isn't fat and bloated like your mom."

or dead, like my grandmother.

Tux Aubrey
February 13th, 2009, 05:14 AM
"Linux and the open-source development model is communism"

"Linux is only suitable for geeks and advanced computer users"

"Linux users are 'time-rich' - most computer users simply want something that works, not something that requires hours of fixing and tweaking."

"You get what you pay for - "free" stuff is worthless"

"With Linux, you are on your own - there's no support"

MikeTheC
February 13th, 2009, 05:33 AM
From the Windows is better than Linux viewpoint:

...because with Windows, you get technology tested, accepted and approved by Microsoft!

...because with Linux, people from all over the world can mess with the source code!

...because with Windows, you get the latest in "Beta"-class software, not that "stability"-affected Linux junk!

...because with Linux, they make you go through menus to get to your software instead of desktop icons!

...because with Windows, Microsoft doesn't confuse their users with putting different apps on different desktops!

...because with Linux, you don't get any software to protect your computer from viruses!

...because with Windows, there are more choices of places to take your computer for service!

...because with Linux, since it's free, support for hardware is dubious!

...because with Windows, you have the standard Internet Explorer to surf the Internet.

...because with Linux, you have to figure out how to install everything yourself.

bryncoles
February 13th, 2009, 04:23 PM
"is this the right thread for an argument?"

since you say the 'PC vs Mac' is too obvious, why not try the 'False Dichotomy: PC vs Mac' line, where you point out that a mac IS a PC, as it is a computer designed for personal use, and anyone who says otherwise has just been convinced by apples clever advertising (which includes Microsoft, judging by their recent "I'm a PC" campaign).

then move on to state the real issue should be 'I'm windows based vs I'm apples proprietorial, Unix-based OS'.

then move on to the 'False Dichotomy: I'm windows based vs I'm apples proprietorial, Unix-based OS', as there are other OS that can be chosen, and increasingly (worldwide) are being chosen (read through this old thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=368210).

linkmaster03
February 13th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going with either security, versatility, or a combo of both.

bryncoles: I actually think about that a lot, haha. Even I fell victim to it in the first post of this thread. PC doesn't mean Windows, it means Personal Computer. Are Macs impersonal?

bryncoles
February 14th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Are Macs impersonal?

well, judging by the "I'm a PC, and I'm a Mac" adverts, id certainly say they're smug. the poor Windows PC was always a more sympathetic character. maybe i just sympathise more with geeks though!

in a way, its a shame to be going with the security / stability issue (though thats a good point to be making), because something appeals to me about this question, 'are macs impersonal'...