PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] User causes total catastrophe, begs forgiveness and help booting problems in 2 OS's

PressureGotTheDropOnYou
February 11th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I was running vista on my dell xps m1730 laptop and was running and instance of the ext2 volume manager to read an external hdd I use as an ubuntu box, as an extra volume. I was backing up some files and it also occurred to me that given how I was running out of space on my laptops RAID partition I oughta start downloading all my torrents there too. I began downloading a documentary in utorrent and directed it to download to my external hdd. I was doing my backup at the same time as this and while I have no idea what caused the problem for sure, I would say my idiotic decision to download my torrent to the drive was the cause.

Anyway, it caused a massive system freeze and then upon restart something in vista is causing a blue screen of death everytime, despite sound working and my desktop loading. I decided to switch to my ubuntu box at least until I could figure out what the hell to do but it said it failed to load the xwindow system and the output said it was because of a mismatch of driver numbers on my nvidea graphics card, it told me I had something like v169 and that the xwindow thing was for 173 or something like that. But the thing is it was working just fine before. Anyone know what's likely to have happened, I know this is not quite strictly a linux question because it happened in vista but it has effected ubuntu and also I was wondering if anyone smarter than myself might at least know what it is I'm likely to have done so I can at least try to figure out what to do to fix things. Oh and also vista will work if in safe mode.