PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What's the best way to defrag a disk?

shateredsoul
February 11th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Hi I have a Newbie question,

I'm trying to make space for an ubuntu install. I have been using my pc since 2006 so there's files everywhere. A lot of them seem to be immovable from the defrag results. Any ideas on what I could do to move this around?

I used Auslogics Disk Defrag.

Gramps
February 11th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I'm going to guess here that we're talking about Windows, I like Perfect Disk myself. I can defrag the files, system files, & swap file if need be.

cariboo
February 11th, 2009, 09:50 PM
If they are immovable files they can't bee moved as Windows needs to know where the files are located on the hard drive. If this is a big concern or you can't make enough space, the only way to fix the problem is a resinstall, or add another hard drive.

Jim

73ckn797
February 11th, 2009, 10:05 PM
It has been a long time since I saw/used it but there was/are(?) programs that defrag and move files to the front of the disk. You would have to search around. Might want to go to:
http://sourceforge.net/index.php and look there.

Peekie
February 11th, 2009, 10:17 PM
For Windows I'd recommend Defraggler. It's a free defraggler that does a perfect job and is very fast.

But this is an ubuntu-forum, so why are you asking it here? :-?

itendo
February 11th, 2009, 10:23 PM
i keep JkDefrag on my portableapps thumb drive. its great because its portable and isnt restricted by admin privileges.

heres a link h
ttp://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/jkdefrag_portable

pastalavista
February 11th, 2009, 10:25 PM
For Windows I'd recommend Defraggler. It's a free defraggler that does a perfect job and is very fast.

Because Windows users hardly ever know anything about how anything works because Microsoft likes to keep their secrets. Ubuntu users are supposed to sympathize (sadly, some things require Windows). Why did you bother to answer?

Welcome to Ubuntu shatteredsoul...

73ckn797
February 11th, 2009, 10:26 PM

Because we are such nice, helpful people who understand what Ubuntu means.

shateredsoul
February 11th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Because Windows users hardly ever know anything about how anything works because Microsoft likes to keep their secrets. Ubuntu users are supposed to sympathize (sadly, some things require Windows). Why did you bother to answer?

Welcome to Ubuntu shatteredsoul...

Thanks! =) I asked here because I'm trying to make space to dual boot windows xp and ubuntu. I figured a lot of people here might have already gone through trying to move files around to make space for a dual install.

Yes, I'm new. But I really only need Windows for a few programs.. other than that I found many good alternative for my other programs when using Wubi.

Elfy
February 11th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I would say try turning of the pagefile and hibernate while you defrag - butnot sure if you're trying to install wubi