PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble upgrading to 8.10

ucal
February 11th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Yes, yes, I know, it's been out for months.

I used to be a regular linux user. Then 8.10 came out. I upgraded, and to my dismay, I found I could no longer log in. After inputting my username and password, I was confronted with a blank, orange screen until I turned off the computer in disgust. Months passed, until recently, I had some time on my hands, and decided I wanted to have Ubuntu again. So I got a live CD from a friend, and tried installing from there. However, I again stopped the process in disgust when it asked me to create a new partition. I'd prefer to retain all the data on my current ubuntu partition.

Nevertheless, I tried to create a new partition. But the Partition manager freezes at 0%.

So, if possible, I would like to fix my current Ubuntu installation. Any ideas on the blank orange screen problem?

Pumalite
February 11th, 2009, 08:48 PM
You need a separate /home to preserve your setting and data:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome
Otherwise save your data with your Live CD and start anew. You might need to reformat your HH. Post a screenshot of Gparted

ucal
February 11th, 2009, 10:14 PM
You need a separate /home to preserve your setting and data:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome
Otherwise save your data with your Live CD and start anew. You might need to reformat your HH. Post a screenshot of Gparted

Is there any way to get around the blank screen upon login?

ucal
February 12th, 2009, 05:04 PM
bump.

dutch1918
February 12th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Try the Safe Graphic mode.

ucal
February 12th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Try the Safe Graphic mode.

Okay, I held F4 at the start up screen, but I have no idea if it worked, because I also go the idea to boot into a failsafe gnome session. Thanks though, I'm posting from linux once again.

ucal
February 12th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Okay, I held F4 at the start up screen, but I have no idea if it worked, because I also go the idea to boot into a failsafe gnome session. Thanks though, I'm posting from linux once again.

Sorry, the problem wasn't solved. I can run ubuntu in a fail safe gnome session. But a regular session results in a blank orange screen after log in.

Pumalite
February 12th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Can you boot into Recovery Mode?

ucal
February 12th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Yes, I can.

Pumalite
February 12th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Try:

apt-get -f install
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

ucal
February 24th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Try:

apt-get -f install
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

That's a no go. Computer freezes well into the third command.

ucal
February 25th, 2009, 01:36 PM
bump

abn91c
February 25th, 2009, 01:44 PM
try at the prompt
sudo apt-get remove compiz
sudo apt-get remove compiz-core

ucal
February 26th, 2009, 08:25 PM
try at the prompt
sudo apt-get remove compiz
sudo apt-get remove compiz-core

Thank you. I'm now posting in a regular gnome session. Ubuntu should be fine for me. Did they remove the "Thanks" feature for this site? I couldn't fine the button to thank you that way as well.

abn91c
February 26th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Thank you. I'm now posting in a regular gnome session. Ubuntu should be fine for me. Did they remove the "Thanks" feature for this site? I couldn't fine the button to thank you that way as well.
You are welcome, and yes that feature "dissapeared" after the servers crashed

ucal
March 3rd, 2009, 03:17 AM
You are welcome, and yes that feature "dissapeared" after the servers crashed

Bad news. I'm getting the blank screen again. It was gone for one session, but now I'm back to posting in fail safe gnome sessions.

ucal
March 4th, 2009, 05:59 AM
bump

abn91c
March 4th, 2009, 01:27 PM
metacity --replace

joey-elijah
March 4th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Bad news. I'm getting the blank screen again. It was gone for one session, but now I'm back to posting in fail safe gnome sessions.

Why not back up your data you were si disgusted at having to partition over the next time you actually get into a session? That way if you keep having issues you can't resolve you can just do a clean install of the version you want to upgrade to.

ucal
March 6th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Why not back up your data you were si disgusted at having to partition over the next time you actually get into a session? That way if you keep having issues you can't resolve you can just do a clean install of the version you want to upgrade to.

Will do. But do you have any ideas to fix the issue as it is?

mazzaschi
March 22nd, 2009, 04:29 PM
FWIW, I had the same blank orange screen problem, but the fail-safe Gnome session (at the login options) wouldn't work. I used the advice to remove compiz at the root prompt from grub, and then the fail-safe Gnome option at login worked.