PDA

View Full Version : Linux Netbook returns compared to Windows returns...

Niva
February 11th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I am pretty sure this has been discussed here. I'll start out with a recent link I was reading today:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-7-netbooks-xp-vista,6974.html

This article claims linux netbooks get returned 4x more often than their windows counterparts. In general that article is a great advertisement for Windows. I find it odd the stats would be so skewed, is there a good source for these things? Anyone here working at one of the companies building these coputers and know for a fact the stats are so skewed in favor of Windows?

I for one think linux is the perfect thing for a netbook, the only thing windows has going over linux is gaming and I sure wouldn't want to game much on a netbook.

Ok that's all!

shadylookin
February 11th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I'm sure a significant number of the returns are because they can't find the big blue E to connect to the internet. The rest probably returned them when they realized that linux is not a free version windows

cl333r
February 11th, 2009, 07:23 PM
There can be much said about this, but there's Microsoft behind many numbers.

For example: Microsoft, among other companies, is a "partner" of Net Applications, that says a lot. MS is a company based on greed, so what they often say what they want people to think, not what the reality is and as people are starting to think what they want, people also start doing what they want. But don't get me wrong, I also acknowledge there are areas where Linux needs to improve a lot.

A smart guy (not gonna divulge the author) said once "We live in times when the appearance is more important than the reality", its how every one judges.

Noblacktie
February 12th, 2009, 01:46 PM
It's pretty reasonable. Mark Shuttleworth spoke on the same issue, but he took heart that at least people have the choice of trying Linux and then returning it if they don't feel it was right for them.

I mean, most people wouldn't touch Linux with a ten-foot pole.

gn2
February 12th, 2009, 02:44 PM
MSI and Canonical does not add up to "all netbooks".

The higher return rate was a story from MSI, who probably had a lot of returns when people found out they had been ripped off on the price of the MSI Wind and took it back for a refund.