PDA

View Full Version : Boycott iRiver... The T30 is a 100 Euro paperweight.

felixdzerzhinsky
December 21st, 2005, 02:54 PM
Whatever you do don't by an iRiver T30. In fact until iRiver changes its attitude do not buy iRiver products. At least until they make UMS versions for Mac and Linux users in the EU and the US. See this link for details. Consider writing a freindly letter telling them you are boycotting their paper weights (thats what they are without UMS firmware). The T30 does not work with ifp-line although the hard working developers are busy with the problem. It has been designed ony to work with ******* Media Player 10. The only reason I bought an iRiver was I was under the mistaken opinion that the company was Linux friendly after reading an article in Tux magazine. Tell your Mac using friends as well.

http://www.misticriver.net/showthread.php?t=28641&highlight=t30

The iRiver European Customer Service email adress is:
support@iriver.at

Tell them to provide UMS firmware or we won't buy their products. Time for these hardware companies to stop taking Linux and Mac people for granted.

varunus
December 21st, 2005, 04:01 PM
What is this UMS firmware? I couldn't really understand it from the linked thread either...is it a different way of USB communications that linux supports (and it doesn't support the new one)?

felixdzerzhinsky
December 21st, 2005, 05:58 PM
UMS & MTP are different protocols for communicating over USB. With UMS firmware your player is like a USB stick. Works with Linux and Mac. MTP is designed to work only with ******* Media Player 10 for digital rights management reasons. ifp-line is a program designed to enable you to use MTP firmware. Unfortunately still not working with the T30 yet.

Please Linux/Mac users write to the company. When they get enough complaints they may take notice.

At the very least don't buy any of their products until they start providing UMS firmware.

Brunellus
December 21st, 2005, 06:11 PM
terrible. I have an iRiver H340, and I love it, and I was disposed to buy another iRiver product to replace it, eventually.

No longer.

I'll be looking for something else in the market.

erikpiper
December 21st, 2005, 07:21 PM
I used to use iriver- still have an Imp-550 CD player. Their quality isn't the best- Use Iaudio. IAudio even says their X5- (And others) Will work with macs/Linux, and their engineering rivals mac! (Surpasses, in my opinion)

http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/

xequence
December 21st, 2005, 09:01 PM
One of their 1 GB flash players says on it windows XP only...

JimmyJazz
December 21st, 2005, 11:49 PM
wasn't there a set of standard set for USB communication back when it was concieved? Why would a company not go by those standards? Oh right, money.

Mr. Electric Wizard
December 22nd, 2005, 12:18 AM
They don't call it M$ for nuthin'

erikpiper
December 22nd, 2005, 12:41 AM
Huh? Well- most Iaudio are drag/drop compatable (Linux!)

Mr. Electric Wizard
December 22nd, 2005, 08:43 PM
I am just about sold on the IAudio products for this reason, but I believe in order to transfer files to/from an IAudio device you must use their proprietary USB base thingy.
I would be in 100% if all you needed to move files is a standard USB cable.

kwaanens
December 26th, 2005, 01:59 PM
The T30 that I bought for my girlfriend for christmas won't let me put ogg on it either (using xp). Even though iRiver's web-site tells me it does play ogg.

- Ketil

junior aspirin
December 26th, 2005, 02:58 PM
:( i just got a T20 for christmas. if i didnt live in europe or the usa i would have got the ums version, which is drag and drop, and linux compatible.

my version the mtp version will only work on windowz with wmp10. although you can drag and drop. i suppose wmp intergrates somehow in explorer.

if you want to add ogg files you need to put it in the ..\data folder.

apparantly though mtp is based on summit else, and aparantly so iv read gphoto2 can be used to tranfer files. not tested this though.
http://www.misticriver.net/showthread.php?t=32822

erikpiper
December 26th, 2005, 07:12 PM
I am just about sold on the IAudio products for this reason, but I believe in order to transfer files to/from an IAudio device you must use their proprietary USB base thingy.
I would be in 100% if all you needed to move files is a standard USB cable.

The Ipod is the same way- but the Iaudio has a normal Usb connection- it just has to go through a $15 (I think) adapter... And one comes with every player that needs it.

You dont need to buy anything. Think of it like a laptop port replicator.

zenwhen
December 26th, 2005, 09:31 PM
I have the Muvo TX FM (http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=215&product=9771) by Creative. I know a lot of internet kids have a great distaste for Creative for reasons such as "they killed my favorite sound card company" and many other reasons that basically boil down to "they make too much money and people buy their products over the ones I like", but I still love a lot of Creative's products.

This one in particular works as a regular USB flash drive (perfect for Linux and OSX), gets 14 or so hours of playtime from a single AAA, and is light as a feather. It also happens to give me access to my favorite FM talk channel so I can get riled up with some nice political talk while I run if I wish.

It doesn't offer the massive storage that a lot of players offer these days but If you need something for running, this thing is great. I put together a 512MB mix every week to suit my current mood and goals. Take a look at it.

etc
December 26th, 2005, 09:51 PM
I'm a very happy H3XX owner, but I don't like the way they have been heading with their products lately. Looks like when this dies I'll be heading to iAudio.

phen
December 27th, 2005, 12:43 AM
irivers products have superb sound quality, and i liked the fact that they support ogg, an open standard. but if they don't provide ums firmware for their new products, my sympathy is gone :-(

that's very sad...

souki
December 27th, 2005, 01:57 AM
The Ipod is the same way- but the Iaudio has a normal Usb connection- it just has to go through a $15 (I think) adapter... And one comes with every player that needs it.

You dont need to buy anything. Think of it like a laptop port replicator.

the dongle wich comes with the iaudio x5 has one usb port, one mini-jack line-in and one mini-jack line-out
without the dongle, it has: one mini-jack head-phone, one remote controler plug, one integrated mic and one usb-host ("usb-on-the-go")

I have not tried yet the usb-host plug (I don't know if ubuntu recognize it) but the usb link is perfect with linux : the transfer speed is very fast and you see the iaudio like a hard disk (drag and drop to the 'music' folder)

the big difference with the ipod is the user interface: the iaudio UI is realy bad, I choose it for the possibility to record fm radio and voice

there is a great project for iRiver and archos players: rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org/)
I hope they will release soon a firmware for the iaudio x5, look at the ports to see if they are working on your favorite player

MetalMusicAddict
December 27th, 2005, 02:18 AM
felixdzerzhinsky look here: Misticriver (http://www.misticriver.net/index.php). Lots of info.
You might be able to change your firmware to get what you need.

Too bad about this. I love my H340 (Korean Firmware (plays video), US model) and wouldnt trade it for the best iPod.

felixdzerzhinsky
February 22nd, 2006, 11:38 PM
UMS Firmware upgrade is available at:

http://www.mtp-ums.net/

junior aspirin
February 23rd, 2006, 04:48 AM
hey has anyone tried what felixdzerzhinsky sed? i want to have a go but im toooo scared :s

ps i have an iriver t20

professor_chaos
February 23rd, 2006, 05:11 AM
yeah found out the iriver T20 didn't support UMS until after I bought it. I **** on it and returned it to the store.

I bought and iaudio a2 and my girlfriend a u3. Both use a standard usb connector. They are just flat out awesome!!!

Deaf_Head
February 23rd, 2006, 07:23 AM
I have the Muvo TX FM (http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=215&product=9771) by Creative. I know a lot of internet kids have a great distaste for Creative for reasons such as "they killed my favorite sound card company" and many other reasons that basically boil down to "they make too much money and people buy their products over the ones I like", but I still love a lot of Creative's products.

This one in particular works as a regular USB flash drive (perfect for Linux and OSX), gets 14 or so hours of playtime from a single AAA, and is light as a feather. It also happens to give me access to my favorite FM talk channel so I can get riled up with some nice political talk while I run if I wish.

It doesn't offer the massive storage that a lot of players offer these days but If you need something for running, this thing is great. I put together a 512MB mix every week to suit my current mood and goals. Take a look at it.

Don't forget that they are also in the buisness of putting together unspecific patents concerning audio production that they ever plan on useing ... and suing aybody who does anything that is even conceptually comparable.

purdy hate machine
February 23rd, 2006, 09:14 AM
I love my Iriver H10 (6gb) The box states this it will only run on Windows XP due to the fact that it requires WMP10 to transfer files. However by holding down the “o” button as the player boots up you can restore UMS mode, then you can just drag and drop your music onto the player. A little research before you part with your hard earned cash goes a long way.

darrenm
November 29th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Found this thread after buying a T30MX expecting it to be fully Linux compatible as it supports OGG but then wondering why I couldn't get it working.

I had to boot into Windows to use the firmware updater from http://www.iriver.eu.com/mtp.html?&L=0 where you can change it to a UMS device. I felt wrong going into Windows but it was a means to an end.

Now its a UMS device it works great as a removeable drive in Ubuntu and plays OGGs great. I'm still going to email them and complain though.