PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] which kernel to use?

polobreaka
February 11th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Newbie here, first real post. this is regarding to kernel update.

the last time in my grub, i noticed kernel 2.6.27 11 generic and 2.6.27 7 generic.

i ran in 11 generic but was unable to install my nvidia 180.22 driver.

i am currently running 7 generic and everything is running fine. occasionally i would get random hangups, but i usually let it ride out and it'll come back.

i would assume 11 generic is the latest kernel, any benefit to use that instead of 7? i had a hard time installing video driver in 11. would running it in 11 be a lot smoother? what is the difference in each kernel? would i still experience random freezes? i completely removed 11 generic in my grub, but i have made a backup before removing. i tried searching google and this forum for kernel reading and tried to understand, results arent coming up to what im looking for.

hopefully someone can guide through this. thanks so much!

polobreaka
February 11th, 2009, 05:21 PM
bump

polobreaka
February 11th, 2009, 08:35 PM
sorry i dont know if this is the correct section to post this. MOD, please move to appropiate section if needed.

thanks all for your help.

is it possible to copy my working kernel to the updated kernel? will everything still work as far as drivers?

JK3mp
February 11th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Happened to me too..showed both kernels in boot up. Its best to use the latest updated kernel. If you can get your drivers and stuff working on that would be best. If not...then just whatever works..works..

polobreaka
February 11th, 2009, 08:56 PM
is there anyway i can just transfers my working drivers and programs over to the updated kernel?

polobreaka
February 11th, 2009, 11:03 PM
update: so now im currently running 2.6.27-11-generic kernel. ran with low graphic mode. i was able to install my nvidia driver the same way i did when i ran 7 generic. everything seem to be ok so far. i still experienced the random hang time. i didnt use my computer too much as i had to go, but it looks like this random hang time still occurs even with the latest kernel.

any idea anyone regarding to the random freezes but comes back couple minutes later?