PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Problem with installation

Immel
February 11th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Hey all,

I am trying to install xubuntu after having perfomred a minimal install (command line interface) but I am unable to do so.

I have checked and doubled checked my sources.list I have added my CDs and I am connected to the network. I always get the error that the xubuntu-desktop package cannot be found. I know I have done this before about a year ago and it did work, so what am I doing wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks.

Partyboi2
February 11th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I assume you are trying to install the xubuntu-desktop from a cd, are you using the alternate cd?

Immel
February 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I have both the regular CD an the alternate one. I know I have done this before with no problem. I just cannnot figure out why it is not working.

Immel
February 11th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I have been browsing this forum and I see alot of similar issue related to the repositories. Have the repositories gone off line or are somehow blocked?:confused:

avtolle
February 11th, 2009, 05:58 PM
You are doing this from a release >= 7.10, correct?

Immel
February 11th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Hello,

I installed the command line interface from the Alternate CD 8.0.4

I have an old Apple laptop its a Pismo so I figured I would keep the install as light as possible. So I figured to install CLI and then add xubuntu-desktop package.

I can always install Ubuntu full version and then install Xubuntu which I prefer but that would defy the purpose of keeping it light. Its a 6GB hardisk with 256 MB ram

Thanks in advance for your help.

avtolle
February 11th, 2009, 07:25 PM
As I understand it, you have installed the 8.04 minimum CD iso for ppc; and are now unable to install the xubuntu-desktop package. I've checked in Synaptic (on my 8.04 ppc install) and find that package there. Would you please post your /etc/apt/sources.list for review? Thanks.

Immel
February 12th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I tried something I read on the forum and it resolved the issue. I had not updated my system after installation. After updating I was able to install the xubuntu-package

Thank you for your help!
:)