PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will not allow me to make a USB startup disk.

Hartless
February 11th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Ok, I just bought a laptop with 1 gig of ram and a 4 gig hard drive. I also bought a 320 gig external hard drive because 4 gigs wont last me a week. Before i really do anything on it though, i need to get ubuntu on it. When i tried to use the create a usb startup disk program in ubuntu on my desktop, it did not recognize the external hard drive as a flash drive so i could not get ubuntu onto it. And because of hat, i cannot get ubuntu onto tthe laptop. also, after it gets working, will there be a way to make programs i install install onto the external drive? I want my external drive to hold everything. if it wasn't for heearing that it would be slow, i would be asking how to install ubuntu onto the drive and run it straight off of that. i just want the basic ubuntu (8.10) on the internal drive, and everything else on the external. the hard drive is a seagate freeagent go 320 gb. and the laptop is a asus Eee PC with the specs mentioned above and it has an intel atom processor. All help is extremely appreciated. thanks.