PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install conexant modem problems

Numbnuts
February 11th, 2009, 03:11 AM
I'm trying to install a Conexant PCI modem in Ubuntu 8 and it just won't happen. From scanModem the details are: -

Modem chipset detected on
NAME="Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. Conexant SoftK56 Data/Fax Modem "
CLASS=0780
PCIDEV=14f1:2f50
SUBSYS=14f1:205f
IRQ=10
IDENT=hsfmodem
Driver=hsfmodem-drivers

For candidate modem in: 01:06.0
0780 Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. Conexant SoftK56 Data/Fax Modem
Primary device ID: 14f1:2f50
Support type needed or chipset: hsfmodem

We've installed Gnome PPP and installed the Conexant drivers from Linuxant as far as we can tell (because we can get a message that an install is an older version of one already installed!).

For some reason we cannot make the final link to /dev/modem. We also cannot get Gnome System Tools to install to see if that helps.

We think we're really close but after 3 days we've given up. Can someone please help?
Do we need to clean up the stuff we've been messing around with? (ie uninstall the driver)
Do we need to re-install Ubuntu from scratch?
Old versions of Ubuntu had a "Network Settings" application which we cannot find now. Do we need this? Should I use an old Ubuntu?

Help!

Numbnuts
February 15th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I'm trying to install a Conexant PCI modem in Ubuntu 8 and it just won't happen. From scanModem the details are: -

Modem chipset detected on
NAME="Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. Conexant SoftK56 Data/Fax Modem "
CLASS=0780
PCIDEV=14f1:2f50
SUBSYS=14f1:205f
IRQ=10
IDENT=hsfmodem
Driver=hsfmodem-drivers

For candidate modem in: 01:06.0
0780 Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. Conexant SoftK56 Data/Fax Modem
Primary device ID: 14f1:2f50
Support type needed or chipset: hsfmodem

We've installed Gnome PPP and installed the Conexant drivers from Linuxant as far as we can tell (because we can get a message that an install is an older version of one already installed!).

For some reason we cannot make the final link to /dev/modem. We also cannot get Gnome System Tools to install to see if that helps.

We think we're really close but after 3 days we've given up. Can someone please help?
Do we need to clean up the stuff we've been messing around with? (ie uninstall the driver)
Do we need to re-install Ubuntu from scratch?
Old versions of Ubuntu had a "Network Settings" application which we cannot find now. Do we need this? Should I use an old Ubuntu?

Help! It's no use to me without the internet and I can't afford Broadband.

bapoumba
February 15th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Threads merged.

Numbnuts
February 15th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Well thanks, but that doesn't help very much.