PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Booting Problem

kbagher
February 10th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Hello.
I'm Using Ubuntu 8.04LTS on my Dell inspiron 1525 Notebook

and i saw a tutorial how to install Ubuntu on a flash driver.

so i Bought 16 MB USB flash Driver and installed ubuntu on it with no problems till now.

but the big problem is that i can't start Ubuntu on my notebook without the USB Flash Driver , because i think the boot files are on it!!!

so how can i put a boot files on my notebook an boot files on my USB flash ,so that booth will work with no problems?

jimv
February 11th, 2009, 12:05 AM
The problem is that each drive (your computer and the thumbdrive) needs it's own copy of grub. So first we need to set your computer to boot from it's own drive again. To do that, boot your computer without the thumbdrive and press "C" on your keyboard when you see the GRUB screen. Type these commands:

root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
reboot

Your machine should boot up like it used to. Once you are in Ubuntu, plug in the thumbdrive. Open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type:

sudo grub

This will give you a prompt that looks like this:

grub>

Type this command:

find /boot/grub/menu.list

It should give you two entries back, (hd0,0) and something else. We're after the one that is not the (hd0,0) entry, which is the thumbdrive. Now we want to set up GRUB on the thumbdrive, so type in these commands:

root (hd1,0) <--- substitute whatever the line was from the previous command for hd1,0
setup (hd1) <--- once again, substitute the first part of the previous line for hd1
quit

Now you can reboot and try booting from your thumbdrive.

kbagher
February 11th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Thanks so much , that helped :)

but i would like to point to this step

find /boot/grub/menu.list

i had to change the word

list

to

lst

thanks a lot Mr.Jim :popcorn: