PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Send comands to remote X Session

nolanpro
February 10th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Hey Gurus!

I've searched and searched but I cant find an answer to this. I want to be able to send shell commands to a running xsession on my ubuntu box (8.10). I don't actually want to VNC anything or even send any GUI at all through SSH.

Heres an example: When I enter

$echo $DISPLAY
from the terminal in the xsession on the ubuntu box, it shows :0.0 but when I enter it from my remote ssh shell (putty) it is empty. Ideally, i would like to be able to do something like this from my remote ssh connection:

$ {voodoo to specify xsession} echo $DISPLAY
and it would in fact be sending that to my running xsession and output :0.0.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to do, is start VLC via command line from my SSH on another computer so that it opens and plays on my unix box at home. (will ultimately be controlled with an exec() command from PHP, and possibly cron)

Any help would be very very sweet! I'm open to taking this a whole different direction if necessary. Thanks!!!

nolanpro
February 11th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Anybody? It seems there must be a way to do this. I'll try posting in VLC and X forums.

snova
February 12th, 2009, 02:09 AM
As far as I know, it should be as simple as:

export DISPLAY=:0.0
echo $DISPLAY

This also works (but only for the one command):

DISPLAY=:0.0 echo $DISPLAY

I may have misinterpreted your question, though...

nolanpro
February 12th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Your right it really is that simple! I'm almost sure I tried that but it might have been TOO simple and I just overlooked it! THANKS!!!!

nolanpro
February 12th, 2009, 03:42 AM
AAAHHH Actually the secret is to configure 'xhost' to allow remote connections to control X apps.