PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intel 830 video configuraion for 8.10

Threnners
February 10th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I am not having a very good Ubuntu week.

I have an old but reliable Dell Inspiron 1150 with onboard Intel 830 video. It's been chirping away with 8.04 about since it was initially released. I had to do some major reconfiguration with the video to get it to work, but after that things were fine. Of course, I have NO CLUE now what I did to get it to run.

So the last 8.04 update that's pushed down apparently fried my kernel. I could get logged in but all I got was a locked screen that only half loaded. None of the previous kernels worked.

Then, like an idiot, I ran xconf from recovery mode and apparently wiped out my video configuration.

I went ahead and wiped the machine out and installed 8.10 using the alternate install cd. Everything boots normally until the splash screen, then I get a black screen and the drums.

Removing Splash does not work.
Removing Compiz & Compiz Core does not work.
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg only lets me configure the keyboard.

I do not know how to get my xconf configuration up here, but it is VERY minimal and all the settings look generic.

I am at my wits end. If I could just get this [profanity deleted] video driver configured, my life would be fabulous. Please help!

avtolle
February 11th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Your problem with the video card is addressed at http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810#Hangs%20with%20desktop%20effects%20on%20Intel% 20830MG%20and%20845G%20video%20cards
basically, you need to install in safe graphics mode, as I read it.

Threnners
February 11th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I can't install in safe graphics mode - I can only install using the alternate CD, and when it boots up, black screen, knocking sound. That's it.

Like I said, removing compiz doesn't work. I still get the black screen.

Threnners
February 11th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Well. Isn't that something. Dell says I have an Intel 830 chipset on this machine.

I finally break down and go back to Feisty, and it seems the driver that works for this machine is the i810.

I guess that screws me out of being able to use 8.10 then, unless someone got it to work for them.

Geek sad.

Kismet
March 2nd, 2009, 02:17 AM
Is there a bug reported for this issue, and or any further news? It is frustrating having to run an old ubuntu to get accelerated graphics. Any one else see the irony?