PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing 8.1 on compaq deskpro EN6400

helixal
February 10th, 2009, 09:34 PM
In live mode 8.1 works exceptionally slowly and takes forever to install. I have 256 meg of ecc memory. I also get the ACPI message ( I assume this in not critical). Would increasing memory solve this problem or is the machine just too slow. Pentium II 400 MHZ.

avtolle
February 10th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Increasing your RAM will help, but with that chip, Ubuntu will not break any world land speed records. If you were installing from the Live (Desktop) CD, I'm a bit surprised you got there at all, given the requirements of 384mb RAM as a minimum to use the Live CD. The alternate CD will install more quickly on a 256mb system.

Did you do what was recommended in the ACPI message? Adding that as a boot parameter might have helped some; again, though, the lack of RAM is your biggest problem. I suggest a minimum of 512mb to use (K)Ubuntu, although the system will run on less, albeit slowly.

helixal
February 10th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Believe me it took a long time and several tries to get 8.1 to install. But it did and then worked like molasses. I am surprised, since I thought that Linux was very tolerant of underwhelming systems

I will increase memory.

can you give me the exact text to force ACPI ?

thanks

helixal
February 13th, 2009, 10:25 PM
"The alternate CD will install more quickly on a 256mb system."
What is the alternate CD? also
can you give me the exact text to force ACPI ?

Thanks