PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No letters on ooo menu buttons

triplemaya
February 10th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Hi. I just did a fresh install of ubuntu 8.10 and the open office suite 2.4 has no typeface on the menu buttons so it's unusable. I reinstalled it but no change. I've dowloaded ooo 3.0 hoping that would solve the problem but I doesn't, spiffy new software but can't use it. I thought the problem was with a theme, I installed xp royale and xpgnome, but I have rolled back all the settings to standard ubuntu and I still have the problem. It's so frustrating, the words are there on the dropdown menus but as fast as they appear they are whited out. only other non-standard thing was an nvidia driver but I rolled that back as well. All typeface in help and all dialogs have the problem. ( Help! I'm trying to get this computer ready for a friend on a deadline and everything seems to be going wrong! Windows is looming! )

triplemaya
February 10th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Solved

Like a previous problem, this resolved itself when I rebooted, so presumably the changes were not fully effective until then.

Further digging showed that it was the nvidia driver which caused the problem. I was trying to get a geforce2 card to work with intrepid and there seem to be known problems with this combination - in the end I resorted to a new card which was geforce6 and everything displayed correctly.