PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu newbie!

stupid-dogbot
February 10th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Hi,

I'm a newbie to this forum and infact until a few days ago I had never heard of 'ubuntu'

After spending the last few days reading all about it I have downloaded ubuntu 8.10 and intend to install onto a second PC I have with the view to getting some hands on experience of the system .... however, I have already experienced a set back:confused:

After downloading I burned it to a CD but I am unable to open program ... is it possible someone can point me in the right direction please :)

Many thanks ....

taurus
February 10th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Is there any OS on that second PC? You don't open program on the CD; instead, you boot your machine with the CD and install Ubuntu from it. Therefore, make sure you burn the ISO file as an image file with your burner app, NOT a data file. Then, go into the BIOS and make sure you have CD/DVD as the first bootable device.

When you boot from the CD, you have an option to use it before you install it if you want to give it a test run. Remember, it would run a little slow since it has to access everything on the CD.

stupid-dogbot
February 10th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks Taurus .... Yes there is XP already on it and I have burned it as an image file.

taurus
February 10th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Do you have a separate/empty partition to install Ubuntu on? If you have burnt it as an ISO image and change the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD first, just restart your machine, making sure the disc is in the drive and off you go.

And if you plan to have the installer to resize your harddrive, making room to install Ubuntu, it's best if you boot into windows first and defrag your harddrive a couple of times first.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/I386