PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Forced switch to Ubuntu

SVEN1
February 10th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Rebuilt my computer from the ground up, everything went well. It was time to install my operating system. Was going to do a dual boot, half of the brand new SATA 600gb hard drive for windows XP the other half to Ubuntu.

This is where I ran into the problem. First tried installing XP from an old copy of the OS that always worked on my orig. IDE hard drive. It would try loading all the files and then afterwards blue screen with error message:
0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0XF748E0BF, 0XF78DA208, 0XF7809F08 )
pci.sys- ADDRESS F748E0BF

So I pulled out that CD and tried a copy of my wife's XP that her work made for her after they messed up her personal computer 3 years ago. It loaded just fine until it asked for the key code. Well, the keycode was invalid. tried all my other keycodes, all invalid.

By that time, figured I may have to go out and buy a brand new copy of XP. Being short on funds, decided to do a full install of Ubuntu of the CD I recieved a number of weeks ago. Did a practice install when it first arrived on a spare hard drive to get the feel of it. I liked it!!!

Not a problem installing Ubuntu on the 600gb drive, updated it and it is running smooth. Have to admit Ubuntu screens, pictures, type fonts are much crisper and clearer than XP's. It was easy to drop my docs off my back up CD into Ubuntu's Docs.

I do feel a sense of security using Ubuntu, not really worrying about about constant firewall prompts, paying for virus protection. Instead of feeling like work, Ubuntu feels like--Let's play.

Until I get a new Windows XP disc or wait until Windows 7 comes out, will be sticking to Ubuntu. At any rate somewhere down the line will have to have a dual boot with Windows and Ubuntu. Unless....I can get Wine to run those Windows programs.

If possible would like to eventually add a second hard drive for Windows only and do a dual boot.

I will get used to Ubuntu this week and learn more about it. it will be fun....:P

hansdown
February 10th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Welcome SVEN1.

Glad you got a system running. You may be able to solve the other problem on these forums.We have some pretty sharp members who may know how to help.

Best of luck.