PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Not Able To Install NVIDIA Drivers

bjnueva8623
February 10th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Seems like I've tried everything. When I go to System>Administration>Hardware Drivers there are three options (versions 173, 96, and 177). I've tried them all but all that happens is a small window pops up (downloading and installing driver) but it disappears quickly without a "changes applied" message.

I found this website (http://boncey.org/2008_11_29_nvidia_drivers_in_ubuntu_8_10_intrepid_ ibex) with a possible explanation. I tried that but receive this message:

E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

Anyone know what the problem is?

taurus
February 10th, 2009, 12:39 AM
You need to include a sudo in front of those commands since you need root privilege.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

bjnueva8623
February 10th, 2009, 12:46 AM
You need to include a sudo in front of those commands since you need root privilege.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

So basically, I'd have to type "sudo" before the command?

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic

Like that? Just making sure.

taurus
February 10th, 2009, 01:03 AM
So basically, I'd have to type "sudo" before the command?

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic

Like that? Just making sure.

Yes, sudo and then the command, apt-get. Make sure you are running that kernel version though, 2.6.27-7-generic.

uname -a

bjnueva8623
February 10th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Yes, sudo and then the command, apt-get. Make sure you are running that kernel version though, 2.6.27-7-generic.

uname -a

Everything went well (thanks a million for "uname -a" thing), here's what I got.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package nvidia-glx-177

Where can I find that nvidia package? I tried the hardware drivers again and got the same results as before.

taurus
February 10th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Maybe you don't have enough repos enable in /etc/apt/sources.list. Post your /etc/apt/sources.list.

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

bjnueva8623
February 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Wait, never mind. This time the installation window showed up and after initially thinking it was stuck, it finished loading after I left it alone for a while. I was thrown off because everything else seems to load ridiculously fast in Ubuntu.

Thanks a lot for your help. Everything looks great now, except the bottom panel seems to have disappeared and the font size has decreased dramatically. Any idea what could be up? I'm actually having trouble reading what I type.

EDIT: I restarted the system and the size is back to normal. Everything is good now. Thanks you.

taurus
February 11th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Maybe you need to play with the resolution. Look in System -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution or System -> Administration -> NVIDIA Display Settings.