PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything like sudo for winXP?

t2kburl
December 21st, 2005, 02:54 AM
Due to security concerns, I have created seperate, limited user accounts on my winXP partition. I have had some issues accessing certain apps & files as a limited user. (PITA!) Is there anyway to do something similar to a sudo command? Or grant a user temporary admin rights?
Ubuntu has spoiled me :)
But unfortunately there are still some win apps and games I need.

agds
December 21st, 2005, 02:58 AM
If you have XP Pro, you might be able to use the "Local Users and Groups" snapin to achieve the desired effect. Sorry I can't provide more info, but I'm not at my home computer right now.

4linux
December 21st, 2005, 02:59 AM
Right click the .exe and choose "run as". You can then pick Administrator, and run program as Administrator.

t2kburl
December 21st, 2005, 03:16 AM
Right click the .exe and choose "run as". You can then pick Administrator, and run program as Administrator.

That got it :)

thanks ... didn't notice it was there.

I will be checking into the users and groups snap-in as well

ember
December 21st, 2005, 03:18 AM
There is a script from the German computer magazine c't, it's called 'MachMichAdmin' - translates roughly to give me admin rights. Maybe that's what your looking for. If I remember correctly, it's a bit more comfortable than 'run as'.

t2kburl
December 21st, 2005, 03:34 AM
I did the run as... and put my user account in almost every (reasonable) group except admin and it still doesn't do what I'm trying to do.
no biggie, though. I have most things working.
got a link for that german script?

ember
December 21st, 2005, 03:41 AM
Sure. See http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/05/23/112/

aysiu
December 21st, 2005, 03:42 AM
A little off-topic, but Mac OS X uses sudo...

poofyhairguy
December 21st, 2005, 05:23 AM

Thats as close as you get. And its still crap. I personally believe the worthlessness of XP's multiuser settings is its biggest flaw. Gksudo is SOOOO elegent when you get used to it.

MS agrees- they are redoing that part of OS for Vista.

earobinson
December 21st, 2005, 05:25 AM
Due to security concerns, I have created seperate, limited user accounts on my winXP partition. I have had some issues accessing certain apps & files as a limited user. (PITA!) Is there anyway to do something similar to a sudo command? Or grant a user temporary admin rights?
Ubuntu has spoiled me :)
But unfortunately there are still some win apps and games I need.

This is the coolest question I have ever seen you sir are a god!