PDA

View Full Version : Amahi Home Server

gletob
February 9th, 2009, 09:57 PM
This looks very interesting especially if they would make it compatible with Ubuntu.

http://www.amahi.org/

ugm6hr
March 21st, 2009, 01:08 PM
I'm surprised no one else is interested in Amahi. It looks brilliant, and has better (and more) features than Windows Home Server.

Given Fedora's desktop (rather than server) focus, and its short support cycles, I would have thought Ubuntu (especially LTS) would be a much better base for Amahi. It is a shame that the Amahi project couldn't be better supported by our community.

HermanAB
March 21st, 2009, 06:07 PM
Well, the problem is that Mandriva, PCLinuxOS and Suse all have better wizards than Amahi. So Amahi is the new kid on the block and still has a ways to go to compete with the wizened wizard based distributions.

Cheers,

Herman

billgoldberg
March 21st, 2009, 06:14 PM
I'm getting an old pc from a friend soon, Amahi would be perfect for it.

zekopeko
March 21st, 2009, 06:28 PM
I'm surprised no one else is interested in Amahi. It looks brilliant, and has better (and more) features than Windows Home Server.

Given Fedora's desktop (rather than server) focus, and its short support cycles, I would have thought Ubuntu (especially LTS) would be a much better base for Amahi. It is a shame that the Amahi project couldn't be better supported by our community.

they say that an ubuntu version is coming

ugm6hr
March 21st, 2009, 10:54 PM
they say that an ubuntu version is coming

Yes, but there are no developers working on that, so it is unlikely to ever happen unless a new developer takes it on.

lisati
March 21st, 2009, 10:58 PM
Yes, but there are no developers working on that, so it is unlikely to ever happen unless a new developer takes it on.

Looks interesting. Any takers from the forums?

olzeke51
June 5th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Eviltechie (a forum user) said he saw a chart for an 'Ubuntu Home server'. I think he was referring to an attempt from last year by an individual -- the website is no longer ??ubuntuhomeserver.org??

pwnst*r
June 5th, 2009, 10:36 PM
amahi does look very nice. i haz spare peecee.

SirShaggy
October 21st, 2009, 07:17 AM
I know this is an older thread, sorry to bring back the dead......Actually, I am not sorry. I saw this post a while back. I pondered it a bit but I am rather lazy and if my stuff is running OK, I leave it alone. Well I was sick the last 10 days and thought I would look into this. I had some spare hardware laying around to play with and gave it a whirl!!! Am glad I did.
Much easier and faster to set up than my SUSE server I built 2 years ago. Step by step guide ANY newbie could follow. I think this is great for people without large amounts of Linux know how. It may not be as robust as a full Linux Server OS but for a home user just getting into the scene, this is GREAT!
If you get free time to play and have hardware around, don't just dismiss this, try it out. It's rather fun.........yes, I am a geek
SirShaggy