PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it possible to install KDE on Ubuntu?

Adam N
February 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Is it possible to install KDE in ubuntu because i found at the login that you can change your session and i was wondering if i could install KDE but also be able to use gnome as well.

Thanks in advance Adam

malspa
February 9th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Yes, along with any other desktop environment or window manager.

ajgreeny
February 9th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Easy, just do
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop xubuntu-desktop to have all three major systems to look at and choose between at login. Be warned, however, it will make your menus a bit jumbled and overwhelming unless you edit them and keep them down to a sensible layout.

Adam N
February 9th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Thank you. I think that i will stick with gnome. Adam

gjoellee
February 9th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Easy, just do
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop xubuntu-desktop to have all three major systems to look at and choose between at login. Be warned, however, it will make your menus a bit jumbled and overwhelming unless you edit them and keep them down to a sensible layout.

That will install Kubuntu or Xubuntu, which is either Xfce or KIDE, but with a lot more (not needed) gadgets which makes it slower!

To install KDE:

sudo apt-get install kde

To install Xfce:

sudo apt-get install xfce4

ajgreeny
February 10th, 2009, 08:35 PM
That will install Kubuntu or Xubuntu, which is either Xfce or KIDE, but with a lot more (not needed) gadgets which makes it slower!
Agreed, but it will not give you the full experience of what kde in the ubuntu system is capable of, nor xfce.