PDA

View Full Version : problem writing swing gui in eclipse; 64 bit ubuntu

badperson
February 9th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Hi,

I recently upgraded to the 64 bit version of ubuntu 8.10. I had heard there were some issues in Eclipse with 64 bit ubuntu.

I did something really simple, just created a JFrame and made it visible...it opens up fine, but I have to force close it,

If i hit the red arrow in Eclipse, it stops running ok,
but this

setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE);
doesn't seem to be working the way it normally does for me.

I set the compiler to 6.0.
when I launch the app from the command line, it closes ok, so I guess it's not that big of a deal, but has anyone else run into that?

thanks,
bp

Reiger
February 9th, 2009, 05:48 PM
That's odd... Are you sure Eclipse is actually _using_ the Java 6 SDK of SUNs? ;)

badperson
February 9th, 2009, 09:17 PM
how would I add this jvm

/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64

to my build path in eclipse?
bp

drubin
February 9th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Install the Sun version of java.

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

Then run

sudo update-alternatives --config java

I highly recommend it for 64 bit with gui.

myrtle1908
February 9th, 2009, 11:29 PM
You'll have a much better time with Swing if you use NetBeans. I use Eclipse every day for my work but for Swing I'd go NetBeans every time.

$0.02

badperson
February 10th, 2009, 12:29 AM
probably a good idea...I've never used netbeans, but I suppose I should learn.

I use eclipse because that's what I know...but I know netbeans has a lot of drag and drop type of stuff you can do for gui's; right?

thanks,
bp

myrtle1908
February 10th, 2009, 02:13 AM
but I know netbeans has a lot of drag and drop type of stuff you can do for gui's; right?

Correct. It makes creating Swing GUIs very easy. There's also some wizards that start you off with menus, status bar etc.

jespdj
February 10th, 2009, 09:29 AM
... I had heard there were some issues in Eclipse with 64 bit ubuntu.
Do you have more information about what issues there are with Eclipse on 64-bit Ubuntu?

I'm using Eclipse 3.4 on 64-bit Ubuntu 8.04 and I've never encountered any strange issues; it works normally. I'm using the Eclipse 3.4 for 64-bit Linux package that I've downloaded from the Eclipse website (I'm not using Eclipse from the Ubuntu repository, because that's an old version).

NetBeans is also a very nice IDE, especially for Swing applications; it has a good GUI builder (http://www.netbeans.org/features/java/swing.html) which Eclipse unfortunately lacks (out-of-the-box). Download NetBeans 6.5 from the NetBeans website (http://www.netbeans.org), because like with Eclipse, the version in the Ubuntu repo's is unfortunately outdated.

drubin
February 10th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I'm using Eclipse 3.4 on 64-bit Ubuntu 8.04 and I've never encountered any strange issues; it works normally. I'm using the Eclipse 3.4 for 64-bit Linux package that I've downloaded from the Eclipse website (I'm not using Eclipse from the Ubuntu repository, because that's an old version).

Is this with openjdk or sun java?

jespdj
February 10th, 2009, 02:54 PM
It runs fine with both OpenJDK and with Sun Java.