PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Cannot get into the OS & HDD Problem

adudutz
February 9th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I was installing updates for my system when the HDD hangs (it happened frequently). The last thing I remember is that it was installing linux-header package, and also it gave error that it was kind of read-only problem. When I tried to reboot my PC (I turned off the PC and then turned it on again; otherwise my HDD will be failed to be detected), the booting process hangs at "Starting up..." line. There is nothing I could do to enter the system, even when I tried the recovery mode.

Is there anything I could do to save my system? I still have the Xubuntu Live CD. Also, could be the hang is caused by the HDD? Because it frequently happen (the hang), and when I pressed the reset button, the BIOS failed to detect the HDD.

PS: I'm still a kind of newbie in Ubuntu-related things, since I frequently use Windows.

adramalech
February 9th, 2009, 04:41 PM
well maybe your hdd just died! you might wana open your case and check to see if when you turn your system on that your hdd will start to spin...

now your saying from the bios it will not detect the hdd...that could only mean a couple things...also since you say your hdd does hang up sometimes it would conclude maybe go buy another hdd...

i am sure that upgrading stuff and installing stuff will not allow your hdd to boot up...

if you have another computer or access to another one a good thing would be to get a hold of a partitioning program like System Rescue CD where you can reformat your entire hdd...

make sure that if you need to back up stuff i would suggest you either use your live cd or a copy of knoppix to get access to the files and back them up then erase the entire hdd and start from scratch...