PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Upgrading Hardy / Installing Intrepid ?

ravl
February 9th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Hello.

I tried a fresh intall of Intrepid when it was first released, but was very disappointed by KDE 4, so I returned to Hardy.

Since then, I've had a Intrepid virtualbox, where I've been trying out things. KDE 4.2 is far better now, so I am considering switching to Intrepid.

My question is, has the Upgrade from Hardy to Intrepid been worked on? I read on the forums that many had problems with upgrading, and had to do a fresh install after upgrading anyway.

I know many will say to just do a fresh install and avoid the problems, so here's my other question: Would installing Intrepid without touching my separate /home partition work?

Monsieur Gonzalez
February 9th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Hi,

Well, it worked fine for me, but your experience might be different. Keeping /home in a separate partition made things easier for me too; upgrading to KDE 4.2 finally gives me the KDE desktop I had been missing when using Gnome.

ravl
February 9th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Well, it worked fine for me, but your experience might be different. Keeping /home in a separate partition made things easier for me too

Did you upgrade through adept, or do a fresh install?

Monsieur Gonzalez
February 9th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I have two machines at home, both with 8.10. I did a clean install with my desktop, and used update-manager for the other; both worked fine.

Good luck, and keep a backup just in case!!