PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Noob trying to install Ubuntu

Jason677
February 9th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I downloaded the ISO from the website. Put it on a CD and checked for any errors (none), but when I try to install it on a newly wiped harddrive it will get to the installation progress bar then stop about a minute into the installation. After the minute an error will appear onscreen (something like 225 or 255, it started with a 2xx). I also tried to boot it from the CD but same thing will happen, except no error code, just freezes.

Anybody got any idea how to fix this or what I am doing wrong?

I have a HP a1133w computer (if anybody wants to check the specs of it)

kindofabuzz
February 9th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Try the alternate cd.

ibutho
February 9th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Try burning your CD at about 4x. If that fails, your iso could be corrupt, so download it again and burn it at 4x. If both suggestions fail, post back and let us know.

Jason677
February 9th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Downloading it again from a different server. Will try again after work. But one question... Do I need to partition the wiped harddrive or will the installation do that automatically?

ambidextrousone
February 9th, 2009, 11:36 AM
hi, during the ubuntu installation, youll be prompted within the process to arrange your partitions, easy stuff too, gives you a proper user interface to do it with, providing your next copy works, you should be good to go :)

Jason677
February 10th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Ok I tried your suggestions and I get the same results. I wrote down one of the error messages I got:

[ 83.984689 ] ACPI Exception (evgpe-0573) : AE_NOT_FOUND, while evaluating GPE method [_LIC] [20080609]

I think I also read a error message about my processor. My Processor is a:

<<< Processor >>>
> Processor : Intel Pentium 4 630
> Frequency : 3000 MHz
> Support : Socket 775 LGA
> Data Cache L1 : 16 KB
> Trace Cache L1 : 12 Kµops
> Cache L2 : 2048 KB
> Voltage VID : 3.300 V
> FPU Coprocessor : Present
> Processor activity : : 0%

Is it my processor? I have no idea why I can not install 8.10 or even try it out using the CD. Any more suggestions?