PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How much time do you spend with Ubuntu daily?

anil_robo
December 21st, 2005, 12:50 AM
Hi guys! It's my fourth month of being in love with Ubuntu! But I know I'm not the only one. At my own school, I found a student, a faculty member, and an IT administrator using Ubuntu. And their devotion to Ubuntu is almost at a similar level as mine! :D

Let's vote how much time do we spend with Ubuntu!

And I encourage you to also write what do you do on Ubuntu all these hours of usage! :)

anil_robo
December 21st, 2005, 01:15 AM
I use Ubuntu for the following purposes:
1. Learning Linux
2. Learning Ubuntu
3. Surfing web, reading news
4. Email
5. Online chat
6. Listening to music
7. Playing stupid games like tuxkart! :D
8. Reading and posting at www.ubuntuforums.org :D
9. Read school powerpoints and lectures
10. Make school assignments
11. Sometimes I do some graphic editing in Ubuntu using GIMP

Personally speaking, I'm supposed to study on Ubuntu, but I don't do that most of the times! And still I get great grades! Thank you Ubuntu! :D

Rackerz
December 21st, 2005, 01:30 AM
I use it about 1-4 hours most of the time. But im getting to around 6 hours now. I have to go back to Windows alot to play my games :).
What do I do on Ubuntu you ask?

1. Learn (The best part)
2. Learn about my new (K)Ubuntu system
3. Surfing the net, doing the usual that I'd do in Windows, but do much faster in Ubuntu.
4. Talking to friends
5. Listening to music!
6. Look around and post on Ubuntuforums! It's my 2nd home.
7. Do some school work in OpenOffice.

I do more but I can't remember Lol.

anil_robo
December 21st, 2005, 01:35 AM
Well, Rackerz, you do much the same things on Ubuntu as I do! Is it some sort of "syndrome"? :D

It'll be so interesting to observe the same pattern of usage in many others - who knows there's an Ubuntu cult under development, silently! :D

Gsx_Eclipse
December 21st, 2005, 01:43 AM
Might one of you be able to help me with my post?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=101724

Sutekh
December 21st, 2005, 01:47 AM
I use Ubuntu for the following purposes:
1. Learning Linux
2. Learning Ubuntu
3. Surfing web, reading news
4. Email
5. Online chat
6. Listening to music
7. Playing stupid games like tuxkart! :D
8. Reading and posting at www.ubuntuforums.org :D
9. Read school powerpoints and lectures
10. Make school assignments
11. Sometimes I do some graphic editing in Ubuntu using GIMP

Yep to all of them! :p

The only thing I use windows for now, is to play games that I just can't get working thru wine yet.

I am cutting back on my computer usage, cos it summer here, time to get some fresh air. I use Ubuntu 1~4 hours daily.

ember
December 21st, 2005, 02:02 AM
O.k. I work with Ubuntu, my computer is up when I am - and I seldomly sleep more than 6 hours at the moment. That gives me 16 hours for Ubuntu ;)

anil_robo
December 21st, 2005, 02:10 AM
O.k. I work with Ubuntu, my computer is up when I am - and I seldomly sleep more than 6 hours at the moment. That gives me 16 hours for Ubuntu ;)

Now that the school (and also my office) is closesd for a week, I haven't slept for two days because of Ubuntu! I'm in love with it! :D

Gandalf
December 21st, 2005, 02:12 AM
I use Ubuntu more than 12 hours a day (lot more :D) actually it's my main distro whatever i want else i go with VMware, windows is out of my life, I use ubuntu for:

1- whatever a computer is used for emails, internet, browsing, chating, movies, azureus, etc... etc...
2- at collage to write courses, to work on Java as it's what am studying right now..
3- develop little scripts to help Ubuntu community such as VHCS installers, amsn installer etc.. etc..
4- well i don't think theres anything else to list, Ubuntu is within my life now :D

I Adore Ubuntu :D

John.Michael.Kane
December 21st, 2005, 02:53 AM
Ubuntu is all i use. ie it has all the software i need, and use..

darth_vector
December 21st, 2005, 03:02 AM
i use ubuntu for everything but gaming.

scole
December 21st, 2005, 03:03 AM
I use Ubuntu for anything I can. Word processing html gimp anything that is within my power. Unfortunatley I have yet to connect to the web in Ubuntu yet :( . I have not gotten wine going yet... When i do winxp usage will be a minimum. I try now by using Puppy because it is easier to config wine in. All Linux unless its the web or some gaming :) !

poofyhairguy
December 21st, 2005, 05:07 AM
I use it too much!

Hi guys! It's my fourth month of being in love with Ubuntu! But I know I'm not the only one. At my own school, I found a student, a faculty member, and an IT administrator using Ubuntu. And their devotion to Ubuntu is almost at a similar level as mine! :D

What school is that fellow Texan?

earobinson
December 21st, 2005, 05:30 AM
my computer is on all the time running only ubunut, so i guess thats 24/7 Its always serving up information and dling stuff.

Lovechild
December 21st, 2005, 05:35 AM
+12 hours a day

chimera
December 21st, 2005, 06:16 AM
My PC is always turned on (uploading on aMule and Azureus) but I'm behind it for about 8-10 hours during the week and about 10-18 hours during the weekend,most of which I spend on xchat/aMSN.

anil_robo
December 21st, 2005, 06:25 AM
What school is that fellow Texan?
University of Texas at Houston, School of Public Health

11hjpphty76lkjj
December 21st, 2005, 06:29 AM
I am a Software Quality Assurance Engineer and use Ubuntu as my primary testing platform, as well I use it for web development, some postscript development, and at home I am also running Ubuntu and use it for web design, some graphics design (although I suck ass, but I'm slowly learning GIMP), web surfing and the like. And experimenting with different applications. Anyone tried Abiword? I prefer it over OpenOffice, it seems so much quicker and stable. Alas. Ubuntu is my primary for everything. Now if i could switch the girlfriend over, no more windows. Well except I like to game, and darn if there is much linux support for that. It's the only reason I have Windows at this time. and even then I'm thinking..I want to game! aww crap I have to reboot and run windows..hell with it.. hehe.

Ubuntu Rules.

Hey anil_robo any luck with Diablo 2? Love to play that again. :)

Bandit
December 21st, 2005, 07:29 AM
I am just obsesed...
I spend 8-12 hours a day only becuase work and sleep get in the way other the rest of my time...
Cheers,
Joey

poofyhairguy
December 21st, 2005, 12:32 PM
University of Texas at Houston, School of Public Health

Cool. A friend of mine that also loves Ubuntu goes there.

curuxz
December 21st, 2005, 04:22 PM
I'm at my pc a good 10-16 hours a day unless I have to do something outside or attend lecutres/work meetings :(

I use it for..,
1) Internet
2) Chat (msn, yahoo etc... not a great irc fan tho have been known to venture)
3) Graphics, Gimp is my fave graphics app I have used, still cant get over its free.
4) Web Design, mostly quanta or bluefish, for some reason i alternate :S
5) Music, Xmms is a goodsend when working long hours, allways running on my 2nd monitor.
6) Kontact is linked to my groupware server
7) Apache, mysql and php. My localhost development server so I can 'dry-run' sites and applications before going on the live server which is still red hat ent. :(
8) Ftp, samaba etc it file servs for my other pc's
9) Scanning, printing etc
10) word processing and general office stuff
11) accounting
12) CAD

thats mainly what im up too, im a web developer by trade doing uni to be an archetecural technologist (Buildings CAD)

venice
December 21st, 2005, 04:35 PM
My "adventure" with linux started few years ago... but I couldn't leave Windows so it wasn't a very productive way to learn linux. I installed Ubuntu few days ago and I must say I really enjoy it.

Time i spend with it aproximates 4-8 hours a day. Mostly working with:

1. Internet (surfing, Chat, e mail etc)
2. Office work (OpenOffice)
3. Listen to music

As you can see... not much indeed. I study Hospitality management so I don't need CAD, Photoshop equivalents and other stuff.

bearbigears
December 21st, 2005, 04:52 PM
started using linux five years ago, but with windows partition. to many things i could not do with linux. then i got ubuntu on a whim and started to learn so much about ubuntu and linux. i went balls out six months ago and got rid of windows for good. i use my computer for my home business and i have not had a problem at all, after i got the hang of it. ubuntu made it much easier to learn and get comfortable with linux.

macgyver2
December 21st, 2005, 04:54 PM
Used to be 8-12 during the several-month period when I was looking for gainful employment. Now having found a job (where I use Mac OS X on a sweet dual-core G5 Powermac they bought for me :D) I don't have as much time...so now it's 1-4 on weeknights and 4-8 either Saturday or Sunday. :(

sarastro_us
December 21st, 2005, 06:43 PM
I do telecommuting work, and Ubuntu works just fine for that. Of course, I also spend nearly all of my leisure computer time on Ubuntu, too.

anil_robo
December 22nd, 2005, 02:25 AM
Hey anil_robo any luck with Diablo 2? Love to play that again. :)
NO luck as yet! My 3D drivers are loaded properly and 3D support is enabled, and I am able to achieve high performance gaming in Ubuntu native games like SuperTux, Slune and Tuxkart. But wine has problems! I'm using wine from sourceforge.net (0.9 version).

There's this thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=100050#7) if you want to assist me with it! I'd love it! :D Thanks

ironwoodcarver
December 26th, 2005, 07:46 AM
You name it I do it I would not change disto if you payed me and as far as Windows well they do lag behind don't they :p

chimera
December 26th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Wuring the week, I'd say 8-12 hours, 16-24 during the weekends. Usually, I only sleep once during the weekend:D

mendy
December 27th, 2005, 09:01 AM
I spend about 6 hours.
I'm new and I have so much to learn about it.

ubuntu_demon
December 31st, 2005, 12:48 PM
I voted 4-8 but actually it is more like 4-12. But that includes (but isn't limited to) reading news,moderating the forums,listening to music,watching movies and watching anime.

Lord Illidan
January 3rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
4-8.. .just mucking around, editing, downloading torrents, listening to music, playing games, working, and using this forum to help out. oh and chatting.

chimera
January 3rd, 2006, 04:50 PM
8-12 during the week, 18-24 during the weekends&vacations.

Spacecaptain
January 3rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
at home i'm weilding purely ubuntu since over a year now. at work i installed a buddy's computer with breezy and an imagebank server since a couple of months with it as well.
i'm avidly using that machine for 99% of my daily work now. today i realised that i just don't need my old windows 2000 install anymore. so i'm currently installing kubuntu with my old w2k as a dual boot on a fat32 drive.
as a result i will easely surpass the 8 hours a day (k)ubuntu usage.

I like this distro so much that i want to try every flavor of it.

and learning new stuff is just SO much fun!

houdeanis
February 9th, 2006, 03:15 AM
I love ubuntu!! I started my linux experience a while back with redhat 6 (using afterstep and windowmaker) hehe, from there I went to slackware 4 and stuck with slackware for a good long time until version 9. I then switched to gentoo for a while and gave an early version of ubuntu a try but ended up going back to gentoo. When breezy badger came out I gave it a try and it has been my favorite distro yet! Gentoo is nice, however I get sick of watching gcc scroll all day and is there really that much more performance to gain from compiling everything? (that's debatable) Ubuntu is fast enough for me and I love apt! I have a thinkpad x31 and I dual boot on it however I haven't booted to xp for months, (no need to). Thanks ubuntu!

jyank
February 9th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Well, lately it's knocked down significantly due to some beta tests comming out that have no support in cedega/wine, but normally if I wasn't playing a game it's all I use

JoshHendo
March 1st, 2006, 07:47 AM
I use it about 1-4 hours most of the time. But im getting to around 6 hours now. I have to go back to Windows alot to play my games :).
What do I do on Ubuntu you ask?

1. Learn (The best part)
2. Learn about my new (K)Ubuntu system
3. Surfing the net, doing the usual that I'd do in Windows, but do much faster in Ubuntu.
4. Talking to friends
5. Listening to music!
6. Look around and post on Ubuntuforums! It's my 2nd home.
7. Do some school work in OpenOffice.

I do more but I can't remember Lol.
Thats what I use Ubuntu for :).

I only use Windows to download music legally (I do remove the DRM protection though :P, I hate DRM, though I still want to do it all legally :P)

I haven't managed to try kubuntu yet. I want to, though I will always stick with Ubuntu (every time I downloaded the kubuntu live cd (2 times), it was corupted :/)

Virak
March 1st, 2006, 08:44 AM
Almost all of the time I'm on the computer; I occasionally load up vmware to run some Windows only program, but that's it.

anil_robo
March 2nd, 2006, 10:43 PM
Thats what I use Ubuntu for :).

I only use Windows to download music legally (I do remove the DRM protection though :P, I hate DRM, though I still want to do it all legally :P)

I haven't managed to try kubuntu yet. I want to, though I will always stick with Ubuntu (every time I downloaded the kubuntu live cd (2 times), it was corupted :/)

How do you remove DRM? I'm also interested in knowing this :) and get the rest of my freedom back :)

briancurtin
March 2nd, 2006, 11:19 PM
i put down 1-4 hours because i counted this site as using ubuntu since a few others did. i dont actually use ubuntu linux though.

briancurtin
March 2nd, 2006, 11:20 PM
How do you remove DRM? I'm also interested in knowing this :) and get the rest of my freedom back :)
there are a bunch of ways, one being that you burn an audio CD of the files and then rip them. quality issues come into play and all of that, but its an easy method.

roachk71
March 4th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Eight to twelve hours daily (sometimes much longer):

Both of my computers exclusively run Ubuntu Breezy, since I've learned not to trust XP (and indications are Vista will, in a privacy respect, not be trustworthy either [see Palladium, and "Trusted" Computing].)

Plus, I've put a lot of work into optimizing the Kernel (mostly waiting a nail-biting 50 minutes to three hours for the build) on both machines, so it really is too late to stop now! Now these machines really do rock!

:-D

imagine
March 4th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Poll:
[x] Not enough.

I only use Windows to download music legally (I do remove the DRM protection though :P, I hate DRM, though I still want to do it all legally :P)If you hate DRM, don't support it with your money.

K.Mandla
March 4th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Unfortunately, I have not won the lottery yet, so I have to pedal off to work like a good drone and spend nine hours a day with Microsoft. Lucky me, I found a placebo. ...

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8595/thanks8ng.th.jpg (http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thanks8ng.jpg)

It's not Ubuntu, but it helps stem the craving. :mrgreen:

detyabozhye
March 19th, 2006, 12:52 AM
I spend a lot of time at my computer regardless of the operating system, and I've been running Ubuntu 99% of the time, so I voted for 8-12 hours.

I use it for everything except creating music. I like FL Studio.

balilu
March 31st, 2006, 08:58 AM
i use kubuntu for every thing i want to do.

1. Chatting
2. Audio & Video Listening
3. Browsing
4. Programming ( still learning )
5. Audio Producing
6. P2P Sharing.
7. Picture Editing
8. Sometimes gaming. (quake 3 or et)
9. Learning LINUX :D
10. Just anything i want i always successfuly do :D