PDA

View Full Version : I just told my girlfriends dad I can't stand watching MTV with him.

diablo75
February 9th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Okay... have a little bit of a personal dilemma and I don't know exactly what to do.

My girlfriends dad, who has been bed bound due to cancer for several months now, has taken a strong liking to shows like Tool Academy, The City, I Love Money and a few others I don't care to remember. The thing about this is that nobody else in the family knows why he's suddenly started watching this stuff. I've been good to never say anything that might clash with his sensibilities or offend his preferences for TV shows, always hoping he'll offer up the remote or say, "Anybody wanna watch Deadwood?" We bought him the entire series of Deadwood on DVD and up until we started watching it on nights me and my girlfriend would visit him, we would watch the Sopranos, two shows I consider to be of much higher quality.

But I finally couldn't take it anymore. I sent him a little email today saying,

"Can we make tonight a Deadwood night? I don't know how much more MTV or VH1 I can tolerate. :) "

And that was it. Apparently this made him mad (not "mad mad" but he did exclaim "that pisses me off" when he read it). Now I'm on the fence trying to figure out how to fix this mess, because the Weird Express is blowing its whistle and coming in at high speed now. And at the same time, I don't feel sorry for what I said. I like the guy quite a bit, mostly for being a well written author who I always thought had better taste in the shows he liked to watch. I mean, just how do you go from the Sopranos to prime-time MTV, and worse, get mad when someone criticizes it? Really does make me sick to sit there and endure it on the rare nights my girlfriend is off work and we can visit together. But I suppose I should have just continued to shut up, despite the fact that I'll be leaving the country in less than two weeks, and his health isn't going to permit his staying with the living for much longer. Is it wrong of me to casually suggest we (all) spend it watching something better?

myusername
February 9th, 2009, 12:59 AM
i personally wouldn't have done that. but thats just me. he'll probably get over it. there isnt really much you can do. sometimes life just screws you over man

jrusso2
February 9th, 2009, 01:02 AM
When your a guest in someone else s home you are at their mercy and have to watch what they want.

Also cut him some slack cancer is not so nice to have, as a former cancer patient.
Got tired of TV but watched some shows I would never have watched otherwise.

kavon89
February 9th, 2009, 01:15 AM
It isn't your choice to make. TV and visits from family are all he really has since he is stuck in bed. The whole point of visiting is not to watch TV... you're keeping a dying man company with his daughter.

Suck it up and hope he doesn't remember or take too much offense to your suggestion.

PilotJLR
February 9th, 2009, 01:34 AM
My 2 cents - you should apologize now and make sure he understands that you didn't mean any offence.

Your girlfriend's Dad is under an incredible amount of stress. Do you really think he wants to watch a drama where people are getting shot at? Cut him some slack.

gletob
February 9th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Watching Next and Parental Control would make ME depressed.

diablo75
February 9th, 2009, 01:42 AM
(Hangs head in shame)

I will apologize in person.

benny bronx
February 9th, 2009, 01:43 AM
This may not be popular, but I have to side with the OP. I have an elderly neighbor that continually played her tv extremely loud. The only way I got it to stop was to threaten physical harm to her. As strange as it may sound, we have a much better relationship now (order of protection notwithstanding).

diablo75
February 9th, 2009, 01:52 AM
This may not be popular, but I have to side with the OP. I have an elderly neighbor that continually played her tv extremely loud. The only way I got it to stop was to threaten physical harm to her. As strange as it may sound, we have a much better relationship now (order of protection notwithstanding).

I'm glad I don't live in New York.

-jay-
February 9th, 2009, 01:55 AM
your in the wrong its his choice what he wants deal with it , its a part of life

jrusso2
February 9th, 2009, 02:02 AM

That's just mean to pray on an old lady better to let the cops talk to her and sort it out.

Maybe she is hard of hearing and does not realize how loud it is?

Frak
February 9th, 2009, 02:03 AM
your in the wrong its his choice what he wants deal with it , its a part of life
Make an excuse like "I saw something on there that offended me, and it lingered in my head when I emailed you". Come up with something that they shown on that day, and tell him you're sorry and that you're totally psyched to see a new "Tool Academy" with him.

With TV as all you really have, it'd be hard for somebody not to relate with you.

benny bronx
February 9th, 2009, 02:05 AM
I'm glad I don't live in New York.

I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore Todo.

Osamabingandhi
February 9th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Get some good topgear episodes and watch with him, great fun with no a lot of unseriousness. UK show about cars but mostly it's about stupid things they do together. In one episode they go to the north pole in a pickup truck....two 45 year olds boozing and driving to the north pole....just completely crazy

But in his state it probably an easy way to disconnect and watch mindless shows. Try to humor him, he's the one with the biggest cross to drag

Rocket2DMn
February 9th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Ok, I think the OP's question has been answered, and this certainly doesn't fit into the category of "lighthearted and enjoyable discussions, like you might find around a water cooler at work" so I'll close this thread now.