PDA

View Full Version : It's not a Linux OS but...

Excedio
February 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I decided to give my Motorola q9c a little Linux flare. What do you guys think?

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i136/Excedio/MyHomeScreen.png

Also, does anyone know of a any Mobile Firefox? I tried looking and couldn't find anything.

srozzman
February 8th, 2009, 10:58 PM
im not so sure about a firefox, but there is opera mini. I find opera to be superior to all web browsers, even if it is closed source

Excedio
February 8th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Yea...I've tried Opera already and don't really like it as much as Firefox. I like the ability to add extensions that really suit me.

zmjjmz
February 8th, 2009, 11:03 PM
There is a mobile Firefox, Fennec, to be released for WM soon. But it's very alpha.

hyperdude111
February 8th, 2009, 11:05 PM
"Linux Flair, IT HAS THE WINDOWS (and IE) LOGO!!

Excedio
February 8th, 2009, 11:17 PM
"Linux Flair, IT HAS THE WINDOWS (and IE) LOGO!!

Kinda not possible to get rid of the Windows Logo. IE...it's the only Browser i have installed...at least until Mobile Firefox is released.

Excedio
February 9th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Here we go...Google Maps looks much better on the desktop...

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i136/Excedio/MyHomeScreenGM.png

dannytatom
February 9th, 2009, 03:05 AM
That text looks extremely hard to read, might be better in your hand though.

Excedio
February 9th, 2009, 05:54 AM
That text looks extremely hard to read, might be better in your hand though.

Actually...that's pretty much how it looks. Screen shot is pretty on par. But...when I get a text or email, the notification icon is along the top to the left of the bluetooth icon making it pretty to identify if I have any thing important to look at. Also, if I hover over anything, it becomes highlighted in orange. Similar to the orange surrounding the Google Maps icon.

igknighted
February 9th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Are you on WM6.1? The new sliding panels GUI is so much nicer...

Excedio
February 9th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Are you on WM6.1? The new sliding panels GUI is so much nicer...

Not yet but my fiancée is on 6.1 though. I love her ability to change the homepage in IE and how the test messages are now threaded.

I took my phone in to Verizon to have it upgraded to 6.1 and they told me that if I go to a specific website I can do it myself at home. Well I went to the website. It wanted my to download a program to do the upgrade...

Program in an EXE file type...

So since I ONLY run Linux in my home (minus the Windows Mobile phone), I plan to go back to the store to have them upgrade it for me.

Giant Speck
February 9th, 2009, 01:06 PM
If you want a good mobile browser, I'd say go with Skyfire. It's currently in beta, but it's pretty good!

Excedio
February 9th, 2009, 06:50 PM
If you want a good mobile browser, I'd say go with Skyfire. It's currently in beta, but it's pretty good!

Thanks for the suggestion, downloaded it to my Q about 10 minutes ago. I like it so far, Especially the ability to play flash videos that are on websites.

It might just be me, but it seems like it may be a little slower that IE. Granted, it's still in beta and trying to load a full page view instead of the zoomed in version that IE does.

I'll keep playing around with it and see how I really like it. But....when Mozilla comes out with their mobile browsing solution...I will most likely kick Skyfire to the curb and get Mozilla.

For those viewing the thread...the link to download Skyfire is http://get.skyfire.com

newbie2
March 19th, 2009, 12:17 AM
There is a mobile Firefox, Fennec, to be released for WM soon. But it's very alpha.
now it is beta ;) :
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/fennec/1.0b1/releasenotes/

dragos240
March 19th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Seggestion: You could find some custom firmware, most mobile things like that have some way of getting linux on it.

smartboyathome
March 19th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Seggestion: You could find some custom firmware, most mobile things like that have some way of getting linux on it.

But most of the custom firmware eliminates some features, which partially bricks it. ;)

dragos240
March 19th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I really wouldn't care, if it ran on linux, and the keypad and wireless connection worked, i'd be fine.

Excedio
March 19th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Has anyone attempted to try Fennec yet? Ill be honest...i'm a little afraid to. Ive already had to re-install my OS recently and don't want something on here that no-one else has even tried yet.