PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 7.1 to 8.04 problems

Yacaph
February 8th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Recently I allowed Ubuntu to perform an upgrade from 7.1 to 8.04. Since then my machine has been running slower than molasses in Alaska. Granted it's an older machine with a 400MHZ processor and 256M memory, but it ran great before the upgrade.

After running a memory check (no problems), I booted from a Knoppix 3.3 live CD to see what would happen. Even with the annoying CD read delays it was tons faster than Ubuntu 8.04.

I'm a linux novice and have no idea what to do next. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Pumalite
February 8th, 2009, 10:29 PM
8.04 requires a minimum of 384 MB to run well. You'd be better off with Xubuntu or add a stick of RAM (very cheap these days)

Yacaph
February 9th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback, but I don't think that I can add additional memory since the computer is an old eMachine's eTower 400ix with a 256M max.

Is there any way to easily revert back to 7.10? When I press <Esc> on start up all I see is various versions of 8.04.

I initially spent a couple of weeks getting things like Samba (and others) working correctly, and I'm not anxious to go through those trials again.