PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome-Terminal prompt problems

Maverick321
February 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I am having an issue with the bash prompt inside of gnome-terminal.
It appears to be adding my user name to the front of the prompt when Its not suppose to.

This is what appears

lex.hoffman@notebook-linux: ~[HOMENET\alex.hoffman@notebook-linux][02:18]~ $

This is what it should be

[HOMENET\alex.hoffman@notebook-linux][02:18]~ $

This is a domain user that is being authenticated with likewise-open.

This is what i have $PS1 set to in the .bashrc file

[\u@\h][\[\033[1;34m\]\[$(date +%I:%M)\]\[\033[0m\]]\[\033[1;31m\]\w\[\033[0m\] $

and when I do echo $PS1 from the terminal i get

[\u@\h][\[\033[1;34m\]\[$(date +%I:%M)\]\[\033[0m\]]\[\033[1;31m\]\w\[\033[0m\] $

So from what I can tell it is being set right and something is wrong with the terminal. Any ideas?

Maverick321
February 11th, 2009, 01:52 AM
No one has even one idea?

jonlemur
February 11th, 2009, 05:51 AM
The only thing that I can think of is if PROMPT_COMMAND is set to something that would display your username and computer name. This command is run before each command prompt is displayed, so it could prefix each prompt with what you're getting. Try
echo $PROMPT_COMMAND and see if there's anything there.

Maverick321
February 22nd, 2009, 11:20 PM
The only thing that I can think of is if PROMPT_COMMAND is set to something that would display your username and computer name. This command is run before each command prompt is displayed, so it could prefix each prompt with what you're getting. Try
echo $PROMPT_COMMAND and see if there's anything there.

Thanks for your response, and your guess was correct

echo -ne "\033]0;${USER}@${HOSTNAME}: ${PWD/$HOME/~}\007"

is the contents of $PROMPT_COMMAND

Although now the problem is finding where that is being set.

jonlemur
February 23rd, 2009, 04:05 AM
This should fix it
echo PROMPT_COMMAND=\"\" >> ~/.bashrc and restart the terminal, or search through the .bashrc and any other shell configuration files to see if PROMPT_COMMAND is being set there and delete it. The above code should clear PROMPT_COMMAND at the end of the initialization of bash, so any previous declarations of PROMPT_COMMAND would be overwritten.