PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intrepid - concurrent startup, innserv?

Dusenberg
February 8th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Hi

Any experience out there on concurrent startup on Intrepid / innserv?

I just moved to Intrepid 8.10 from Gutsy (clean install) on my dual-core laptop and things going real well. I had concurrent startup setup on Gutsy (concurrency=shell in init.d/rc along with some fixes for 7.10) and it worked. Now I want to do on 8.10 and i read the following in the std rc script - basically warning that init scripts need to be in correct sequence and pointing you to innserv package

# Specify method used to enable concurrent init.d scripts.
# Valid options are 'none', 'shell' and 'startpar'. To enable the
# concurrent boot option, the init.d script order must allow for
# concurrency. This is not the case with the default boot sequence in
# Debian as of 2008-01-20. Before enabling concurrency, one need to
# check the sequence values of all boot scripts, and make sure only
# scripts that can be started in parallel have the same sequence
# number, and that a scripts dependencies have a earlier sequence
# number. See the insserv package for a away to reorder the boot
# automatically to allow this.
CONCURRENCY=none

I do not know id the std 8.10 rc scripts are correctly sequenced - do you?

Checking the inserv website http://packages.debian.org/unstable/misc/insserv warns as follows:

This utility reorders the init.d boot scripts based on dependencies given in scripts' LSB comment headers, or in override files included in this package or added in /etc/insserv.

This package should be used with care, as incorrect or missing dependencies can lead to an unbootable system.

Anybody used innserv or know how to setup concurrency??

Cheers

duanedesign
September 14th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I am also curious about this issue.

I am using Jaunty and when looking changing the concurrency in /etc/init.d/rc i came across the paragraph mentioned in the previous post. Is it necessary to run insserv? Is it recommended? Any insight using insserv or changing concurrency in /rc would be appreciated.

wyrless2002
October 14th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I took the chance and changed concurrency=shell with no ill effects. It does speed up the boot process, but I don't know if I just got lucky and everything was satisfiable. I'll be watching this post to see if someone can shed some light on using or installing insserv.